When talking about the best affordable road bikes, one has to think about the value for money. In the bike trade, technology seems to trickle down with time which means that technology that was only available in high-end road bikes a few years ago, can now be found in affordable bikes today. The best affordable road bikes are not just those that have a low price, but those that have a low price when you consider the features that they have. Here you will see a sampling of these bikes. We hope after reading this best affordable road bikes reviews, you will know which ones will best fit your needs and budget.
- 1 How to choose the best affordable road bikes for beginners?
- 2 What are the benefits of affordable road bikes?
- 3 What should you consider when choosing affordable road bikes?
- 4 What concerns should affordable road bike buyers have?
- 5 What affordable road bike brands are the best?
- 6 What to know before you look for an affordable road bike
- 7 Giordano Libero
- 8 Tommaso Imola
- 9 Vilano Shadow
- 10 Schwinn Men’s Phocus
- 11 Nashbar AL1 Road Bike
- 12 In conclusion
How to choose the best affordable road bikes for beginners?
Choosing the best affordable road bike will require you to weigh a lot of factors. This article on best affordable road bikes reviews will guide you on how to pick the road bike that suits your needs. The first will be the price of the bike; it has to be one that you will comfortably afford. It also has to be the price that you are willing to pay, for the purpose of getting into a hobby or sport that will greatly uplift your fitness levels and heath. Imagine what you would have to pay to go to a gym, and then use that figure to decide on the price you would be willing to pay for the bike. Secondly, you have to consider the features of the bike that you are buying. Cheap is not necessarily affordable. Getting a dirt-cheap bike and spending a lot more on repairs does not translate into affordable.
What are the benefits of affordable road bikes?
Getting an affordable road bike is a great boon for people who want to get into the sport of biking. Here are some of the benefits that you will derive:
- Meet new people ? you will not have to join expensive social circles to meet great people. You will meet people who share your interest in biking.
- Better health ? you do not have to go to a gym in order to become fit and healthy. With an affordable bike, you will enjoy getting fit while exploring the countryside.
- Fitness for all ? if your family only thinks of going to the lake and lighting a bonfire to cook the fish that you caught, you could try riding through the countryside, and enjoying the unfolding vista. This is a great way of spending time together as a family.
What should you consider when choosing affordable road bikes?
When you are looking for the best affordable road bikes, there are certain aspects that you should keep in mind. Here are some of the most important:
- The price versus the technology ? you need to look at the features that you are buying. It would be better to spend a little more for a bike that has advanced features, than just buy the cheapest bike that you come across.
- The weight of the bike ? ideally you should look for a bike of about 10 kilos. If you get a heavy steel frame, then you will not be buying the ?best quality for your low budget.
- The size of the bike ? the comfort of the bike will depend on your getting the right size for your body
What concerns should affordable road bike buyers have?
When looking for an affordable road bike you want one that will perform as well as the high-end bikes, but one that will not cost too much. Here is where individual preferences come in; you may be looking at the best bang per buck, which means you will be willing to send a little more for a bike that performs well. On the other hand, you may be having a strict budget, and looking for any bike that will have a certain price tag. These are the issues you have to weight when choosing the best affordable rod bikes. Ideally, you should look for a bike that will perform well, will last a long time, and will not be too pricey for you.
What affordable road bike brands are the best?
When it comes to affordable road bikes, it is difficult to name any brand as being the best. The reason is that you have to weigh costs against the features that you will be getting. If you have a bike that has no gears going for a few dollars, and another that has gears and going for 100 dollars, then you will have to weigh whether having the gears is worth the extra cost. However, there are some that usually stand out as being really affordable after considering their performance and features. You will see some of them below.
What to know before you look for an affordable road bike
Before you go out and buy an affordable road bike, you need to consider whether you would not be better off getting an expensive one. This will depend on the level of biking that you want to be involved in. most people who take up biking as a hobby will prefer to get an affordable road bike. This is because their interest is in the activity and not competition. But for those who want to take it up as a sport, getting a high-end bike would probably be the best. All the same, there are affordable road bikes that can perform just as well as the high-end ones; look for these too.
|Schwinn Men's Phocus||$$|
|Nashbar AL1 Road Bike||$$$$$|
This is one of the best affordable road bikes that you can get. It is suited for the beginner who would like a bike that rides like one of the high-end modes, when it comes to components, construction and luxury. It comes with a 6061 aluminum frame which is very light, and even some of the experienced riders hail its light weight as one of its best features. It has Vitesse alloy 700c wheels, and these spin quite well. It also has the silver Shimano 2300 shifters, which make for smooth changing of the gears.
This is a bike that comes in three frame sizes, limiting chances of getting one that is right for you. They are all agile, start very fast, and can move at a very fast pace especially on straight roads. They are also aesthetically attractive, have a racing look, and have oversized tubing. You can easily upgrade any of the components on this bike, should you find that you have outgrown them. It is available in white or black and definitely one of the top low-priced bikes on the market.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- It is light in weight, thanks to the 6061 aluminum frame
- It is easily upgradeable
- It has the Shimano 2300 for smooth changing of gears
- The Vitesse alloy 700 wheels are top of the line
Things We Didn’t Like
- It comes in three frame sizes and these may not be very flexible
This is still a young brand and many people may not be aware of it. The company has come up with some great designs, including some that are targeted at beginner level. The Imola is a great bike and gives excellent value for money; it is definitely a great bike for first-time buyers. It has a lightweight and compact 6061 aluminum frame, and some of the components come from the high-end brands.
The Tommaso Imola comes with Sunrace R-80 integrated shifters, which are a lot of fun and precise at the same time. The front and rear shifters give a combination of 24 speeds. All the cranks area made of alloy and this makes them strong and light. The sizes range from 47 to 61 cm, and the seat post is adjustable, ensuring that the frame fits most people. One thing is that the bike does not come with pedals, and you have to buy them separately. Basically this is a responsive, light and gorgeous affordable road bike.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- It is light in weigh making it comparable to some of the high-end models
- It comes with an integrated Sunrace R-80 shifting system that puts out 24 speeds in total
- The adjustable frame and seat post makes it fit most people
Things We Didn’t Like
- The bike does not come with pedals and this is quite an inconvenience since you have to buy them as accessories.
This is another affordable road bike from a new company that has quickly become the favorite for most people. If you do not want to spend a lot of money at the outset, then this is a bike that you should consider seriously. It has decent components, and has an aluminum frame. The painting job on the bike is excellent, but not too flashy. It has integrated handlebar-mounted shifters, making it easy to control the gears. It has basic Tourney shifters at the rear, but these can be tuned to operate like high-end professional shifters. The weight of the bike is only 24 pounds and this is much lighter than some of the high-end bikes on the market.
The bike has caliper brakes which are much better than some of the disc brakes put on high-end bikes. It also comes with double-walled wheels which make the bike sturdy and also give it a great look, while still keeping the weight down. Despite the name, the bike is not of Italian origin.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- It has great aesthetic that make you feel good when you are on the road
- It is much lighter than some of the high-end models in the industry
- It has a low cost when you consider the advanced features that it has
- It has double-walled wheels which are light yet strong
Schwinn Men’s Phocus
This is a fantastic affordable road bike that is well built and has been crafted with ingenuity. This is a good example of a bike that will impress both entry level riders as well as professionals. The aluminum frame has been gorgeously arched, and it comes with oversized tubing for more strength and rigidity. This is a responsive bike that will have you zipping down the urban roads with great speed. The bike boasts the intuitive but basic Shimano A050 shifters and derailleur. The bike has14 speeds which are more than adequate for most bike riding purposes. It has an 18 inch frame, which is considered medium, and is idea for a person of 5?6? to 5?11? in height; the seat post is also adjustable. The bike has quick-release wheels, so you should make sure you buy a cable lock so they are safe and do not get loose when you are at high speeds. This is a great bike for beginners who do not want to spend a lot of money, and is quite durable and long-lasting.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- This is a lightweight bike
- It has quick-release wheels for faster wheel changing
- The 14 speeds are great for beginners so they are adequate.
- It has an adjustable seat post which means you can set it to the best height? Handlebar mounted shifters for better control
Nashbar AL1 Road Bike
This is yet another unknown brand which is quickly gaining popularity for producing some of the best affordable bikes on the market. The bike comes with great components and is low-priced. They started off as cyclocross, road and mountain bike manufacturers. This particular model is best suited for entry level bikers, although it may be a bit more costly than any of the others listed above.
The bike comes with an aluminum frame, which is very responsive and light. It has Shimano Sora shifters and derailleur, which is way above what you would find given the price of the bike; these make shifting gear a breeze. The bike has a dual pivot caliper brake system, which can make you stop within your tracks. The bike has a matte blue/black or silver color. You should look into the brand and get to know more about their innovative bikes. This is one of the best bikes for those who would like to send a little more money and get a higher-quality affordable road bike.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- It has a light aluminum frame which is responsive and fast
- It has a dual pivot caliper brake system that can stop you on a dime
- The Shimano Sora shifters allow for fast and smooth shifting o the gears
Things We Didn’t Like
- This bike does not have any cons as yet since it is new on the market
The best affordable road bikes should give you value for your money even if they are not too costly. When you look at some of the features that the bikes have, you will find that they are comparable to some of the high-end bikes on the market. With some patience, you can find a bike that you can configure in your own way, and make it perform like some of the expensive models. Granted, some features in the high-end models are completely absent from these models, but you will find that they perform just as well. These are ideal bikes for people who are just starting out in road bike sports or hobbies, and they will not cost you too much, thereby cushioning your investment expectations from disappointment.