A bike multi tool is a must-have of any cyclist. It doesn?t matter what discipline you practice. It doesn?t even matter if you only cycle every now and then for leisure purposes. A multi tool can help you in many situations.
Read on to find out more about this important item to include in your bike repair kit, or click on the links below to see our selection of the most awesome bike multi tools on the market.
|Crank Brothers Multi-19 Bicycle Tool||$$$$|
|Crank Brothers Multi-17 Bicycle Tool||$$$|
|Topeak Alien II Multi-Tool||$$$$$|
|Topeak Hexus II Multi-Tool||$$|
|DAWAY Bike Repair Tool Kit||$|
On the market, there are dozens of models of bike multi tools. Choosing the right one is daunting, especially if your mechanical skills are scarce. Should you care about dimensions and weight? Does it matter what the multi tool actually includes?
Let?s find out what is and how to choose a bike multi tool, then take a look at the best bike multi tools available on today?s market.
- 1 What Is A Bike Multi Tool
- 2 How To Choose A Bike Multi Tool
- 3 The Best Bike Multi Tool Reviews
- 3.1 1. Crank Brothers Multi-19 Bicycle Tool
- 3.2 2. Crank Brothers Multi-17 Bicycle Tool
- 3.3 3. Topeak Alien II Multi-Tool
- 3.4 4. Topeak Hexus II Multi-Tool
- 3.5 5. DAWAY Bike Repair Tool Kit
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
What Is A Bike Multi Tool
A bike multi tool is a sort of Swiss Army Knife designed for cycling. This tool encloses numerous extractable tools in a small body; these tools will allow you to fix any small mechanical issues while on the go and reach the safety of your home without too much hassle.
On the market, it is easy to find bike multi tools equipped with chain keys, wrenches, screwdrivers, and many other mini-tools that should already exist in your bike repair kit.
But since many cyclists own a repair kit, their legit question is: why invest in a multi tool? This was also my question a few years ago and I found it out when my bike broke in the middle of nowhere. I didn?t have any of my full-size tools with me and had to walk home.
Since then, I invested in a great multi tool that allows me to have a mini-version of all the essential tools with me at all times. And this is why you should invest in a bike multi tool.
A bike multi tool will let you cope with a wide series of problems that may arise when cycling. Your chain might break, a clamping screw might get loose, a gear might not work, and so on. These issues are most likely to arise when practicing mountain biking or a gravity discipline, yet it is advisable to have a solution at hand in all circumstances.
Bike multi tools vary widely and you will be able to find minimal tools that only enclose 5 or 6 utensils to extensive tools counting over 25 options. Regardless of your choice, every bike multi tool should enclose a series of important items:
- Crosshead screwdriver: is fundamental to adjust the derailleur and a series of other components of the bikes using cross screws.
- A set of Allen keys:Allen keys are used to tighten almost all screws on a bike. Except for the cross screws. You should aim to choose a multi tool including at least 4, 5, and 6 mm Allen keys.
- Torx key:another essential key that will help you tighten or dismantle some components of the bike.
- Screwdriver:useful especially to leverage or to reach parts of difficult access.
- Metal tire lever: helps you change the tire with ease.
Apart from these essential tools, it would be nice to have:
- A set of wrenches: some bike multi tools come with a sort of a plate that encloses wrenches of different dimensions.
- 8 mm Allen key: used to take off the pedals.
- Knife: especially when cycling in the wilderness, a knife can be handy in many situations.
How To Choose A Bike Multi Tool
Bike multi tools vary in terms of design, dimensions, and tools included. Some are best for urban cycling other are ideal to have if you?re practicing gravity disciplines. But regardless of your style, there is a number of characteristics to consider when choosing the best item for you.
- Sturdiness: this is the main feature to consider when choosing a bike multi tool. The one you like should be solid and robust. It must give you the impression that it will resist to the heaviest workload. The retractable tools must rotate easily, without friction, but they shouldn?t be loose. The tools should be made of chromium-molybdenum steel or chrome-vanadium. You can choose a multi tool with an outer shell made of plastic, but make sure the plastic is sturdy.
- Tools included: this is the second aspect to consider and any bike multi tool should incorporate the indispensable tools listed above. However, some of them also include a number of more or less useful accessories. To make the right choice, don?t choose a multi tool that includes items you will never use. More accessories don’t mean the tool is better and you?ll probably spend more on items you don?t actually need.
- Ergonomics: another important aspect as it determines the ease of use of the multi tool. Make sure you feel comfortable handling the tool. If the tool is too large for your hand it is better to search for a smaller model that includes all the items you need.
- Functionality: apart from the items included, the bike multi tool should be functional in terms of tool disposition and dimensions. You should be able to use it on all the parts of your bike without causing you to adopt awkward positions.
- Weight: a bike multi tool is designed to stay in your pocket or in the tool bag under the saddle at all times. This means that its weight will be added to the weight of the bike, causing you to make more effort while cycling. Choose a sturdy tool that is as lightweight as possible.
The Best Bike Multi Tool Reviews
1. Crank Brothers Multi-19 Bicycle Tool
One of the most popular bike multi tools is the M19 tool from Crank Brother. This useful multi tool includes 19 of the most common road and trail-side repair tools which are all encased in a lightweight yet sturdy aluminum case.In detail, the multi tool includes seven hex wrenches, as well as four spoke wrenches, flathead and cross head screwdrivers, a T-25 Torx driver, two open wrenches and a universal chain tool.Check Price on Amazon
The individual tools are made of 6150 high-tensile steel. All of them are encased in a 6061-T6 aluminum frame and, for added convenience, the tool comes with a carrying case made of stainless steel and polymer.
The multi tool is lightweight and compact. Weighing only 175 grams, it will not influence on your bike?s weight while the dimensions will allow you to carry it in a pocket.
Things We Liked
- All essential tools: this bike multi tool from Crank Brothers comprises of all the tools necessary for roadside or trailside repairs and it is ideal to use by all cyclists.
- Lifetime warranty: to guarantee the reliability of the tool, the manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty on labor and production.
- Sturdy: the individual tools are designed to withstand even the hardest works and they come in an equally sturdy frame.
- Carrying case: a nice addition is the stainless steel and polymer case that will keep your multi tool protected during your rides.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The chain tool is not one of the bests and the overall design is somehow awkward. Nonetheless, all the tools do their job and the item is designed to last in time.
2. Crank Brothers Multi-17 Bicycle Tool
If for any reason, the M-19 multi tool is too much for you, Crank Brothers propose a smaller version of their reliable and durable multi tool, the M-17. This bike repair equipment also includes a universal chain tool, four spoke wrenches and seven hex wrenches, a T-25 Torx driver, a flathead, and a crosshead screwdriver but it lacks the open screwdrivers.Nonetheless, this tool also impresses with its sturdiness and reliability. The tools are made of 6051 high tensile steel and the frame is made of 6061-T6 aluminum.Check Price on Amazon
Unfortunately, the bike multi tool doesn?t come with a carrying case yet it comes in multiple colors. In fact, you will be able to choose the tool with your personality and choose your favorite from black and pink, black and silver, or gold.
Compared to the M-19, this multi tool is lighter although the dimension stays the same. The item weighs 168 grams and it is easy to carry it in a pocket.
Things We Liked
- Versatile: this multi tool is designed to work well on literally all bikes and you could even use it to dismantle the whole bike if necessary.
- Color selection: not many think of the aesthetics when choosing a bike multi tool, yet it is nice to be able to match it with your personality.
- Size: this multi tool is compact enough to fit in your pocket and it will not occupy a lot of space in your bike?s tool case.
- Durability: made of highly durable materials, this multi tool is made to last. As proof, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Again, the universal chain tool is not one of the greatest. Apart from this, the multi tool is well-built and does its job flawlessly.
3. Topeak Alien II Multi-Tool
Topeak is a brand renowned for their commitment to providing the best cycling tools and accessories. Topeak tools are the result of hard work and continuous improvement. The manufacturer listens to the needs and desires of cyclists and their products are designed for both professional and amateur riders.The result of their commitment is the Alien II Multi-Tool, an item designed to stay in your pocket or under your saddle and be your trustworthy companion during the rides.Check Price on Amazon
This tool boasts a 2-piece body and 26 total tools. All tools are made of hardened steel and designed to last while the engineering grade plastic body is designed to make the tool as lightweight as possible.
The tools include seven Allen keys with dimensions between 2 and 8 millimeters, six hex bolt wrenches and a mini pedal wrench, flat and cross head screwdrivers, two spoke wrenches and two tire levers, a T-25 Torx driver, a 10mm Allen socket for Shimano?s LX crank bolt as well as a bottle opener and a knife.
Things We Liked
- Complete bike multi tool: this multi tool comprises all the tools a cyclist might need when on the go. The 2-piece body, on the other hand, makes the multi tool easy to use.
- Hardened steel tools: sturdy and built to last for a lifetime, the individual tools are made of hardened steel.
- Compact: although it includes all the essential cycling tools, this item measures only 3,5 inches. It can easily fit in the palm of your hand and it occupies a little space in a backpack or tool case.
- Carrying pouch: the tool comes with a protective pouch designed to be attached either to your cycling equipment or to the backpack.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The multi tool is rather heavy. Weighing 270 grams, it will add a little weight to your bike and it isn?t exactly comfortable to wear in a pocket.
4. Topeak Hexus II Multi-Tool
If you?re looking for a smaller yet highly-reliable bike multi tool, another tool from Topeak to consider is the Hexus II Multi-Tool.Containing 16 high-quality tools encased in an ergonomic composite body, this multi tool is designed for professional and amateur cyclists alike.Check Price on Amazon
The tools included are perfect for road or trail cycling. In details, the multi tools include eight Allen keys and two spoke wrenches, a chain tool and a chain hook, screwdrivers, and a T-25 Torx driver. The composite panels on the sides of the tool snap out and become two heavy-duty tire levers.
The multi tool weighs only 167 grams and its dimensions make it easy to carry in a pocket or in a tool case.
Things We Liked
- Great selection of tools: whether you practice road cycling or freestyle disciplines, this multi tool will be your trustworthy companion.
- Full-size chain tool: another great characteristic is the universal chain tool that boasts a full-sizes head.
- Lightweight: the multi tools weighs only 167 grams. This means it will be easy to carry and it will not add much weight to the bike.
- 2-year warranty: the tool comes with a two-year warranty, which is enough time to test and return the tool if something is not right about it.
Things We Didn’t Like
- A drawback of this tool is the plastic tire levers. Although the plastic is of industrial grade, they can still break easily under pressure.
5. DAWAY Bike Repair Tool Kit
Bike multi tools often cost a lot. Yet, if you need an inexpensive yet reliable multi tool to take with you on your adventures, the DAWAY Bike Repair Tool Kit might be the answer to your needs.This repair tool kit is much more than a simple multi-tool. In fact, it includes a multi tool with 16 different tools and a series of other functional items such as eight glue-less tire tube patches, one metal RASP, and two plastic tire levers.Check Price on Amazon
The tools count six Allen keys and three socket spanners, three flat wrenches, two screwdrivers, a spoke wrench and a sleeve extension rod.
The tools are made of high-quality carbon steel and ABS material, and the only real drawback is the plastic tire levers which might break with ease under pressure.
Things We Liked
- Versatile travel toolkit: the kit includes multiple useful accessories besides the multi tool, a great addition if you have tire issues while cycling.
- Two purchase options: the manufacturer proposes two kits containing the same multi tool but different accessories, so you can choose the one you like best.
- Storage pouch: the kit comes with a convenient storage and transport pouch the will keep all the items together and easy to find in a backpack or tool case.
- Durable construction: the tools are sturdy and made to last. Made of carbon steel, they are able to handle with ease all types of mechanical issues.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The multi tool is rather heavy, weighing around 290 grams. The ABS tire levers are another drawback of this bike multi tool.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Choosing the best bike multi tool wasn?t easy. There are numerous subjective factors that weight in such a choice. However, in my opinion, the best bike multi tool on the market is the Topeak Alien II Multi-Tool.
This cycling tool is complete with all the instruments needed in case of a mechanical failure. It has screwdrivers, Allen keys, and other useful tools that count up to 26 different elements. And the best part is that it includes a 10 mm Allen key built specifically for Shimano?s LX crank bolt.
Two other elements I truly like are the knife and bottle opener. The knife can be handy in many situations while the bottle opener? if you go camping you know what I mean.
Moreover, the bike multi tool has a compact design and is easy to use, even if it is not the most lightweight tool on the market. As a conclusion, it really deserves a chance!