Enjoying relaxing Sunday rides with the pooch is a dream of many cyclists. Bike pet trailers can help, above all when you have a large breed dog. Similar to a child bike trailer, this accessory can keep the pet safe during the journey.
But how to choose the best? Read on to find out what to look for, or click on the links in the table below to check some of the most popular bike pet trailers on the market.
Riding with the pooch has been a subject of debate for quite some time. Some people claim that taking the dog with you on cycling adventures is awesome. Others believe that riding with the dog isn?t safe. What does the law say? Is it safe to ride with Fido?
Read on to find the answer to this question and more in our guide to riding with the dog!
- 1 Can You Ride With Your Dog?
- 2 Bike Pet Trailers Vs. Pet Baskets
- 3 How To Choose A Bike Pet Trailer For Large Breed Dogs?
- 4 Best Bike Pet Trailers For Large Breed Dogs
- 4.1 1. PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bike Trailer for Dogs
- 4.2 2. Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
- 4.3 3. Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger
- 4.4 4. MB Booyah Large Pet Trailer
- 4.5 5. InStep Robin Two Seat Portable Bike Trailer for Children or Pets
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Can You Ride With Your Dog?
In many states, the law doesn?t prohibit riding with your dog as long as you?re able to keep both hands on the handlebar and as long as the pet doesn?t distract your attention. This means that there are many ways of riding with a dog legally, including riding with the dog on a leash.
In fact, riding with the dog on a leash is the choice of many cyclists who own a large-breed dog. Most of the times, this is the most convenient choice in terms of cycling performance and there are many bike leashes available on the market.
These accessories are designed to keep both the rider and the dog safe. They usually attach to the seat post or bike?s frame, keeping the dog at a safe distance from the bike.
However, if you?re living outside of the USA, the local laws regarding cycling with pets might be different. In many European states and not only, the law prohibits riding with the dog on a leash. This is considered unsafe for both rider and pet, and also for the other traffic participants.
Whether the law approves it or not, walking your dog while cycling is often dangerous. For a successful ride, the dog should be well trained and behave properly. Otherwise, it can easily cause you to lose balance or worse.
For this reason, it is often recommended to carry your dog in a pet trailer or pet basket. Here?s how to choose between them!
Bike Pet Trailers Vs. Pet Baskets
When deciding upon the best transporter for your pooch, the choices reduce to bike pet trailers or pet baskets. Both of them might be suitable for large breed dogs, but in our opinion, bike pet trailers are the best. Let?s see why.
Bike pet baskets are designed to mount either on the handlebars, on the frame, or on the cargo rack above the rear wheel. Large breed dogs can only ride in a rear basket for obvious reasons. Their size makes it impossible to accommodate them in front or frame baskets.
A rear cargo basket is a great option for transporting a large dog, but not the best. The dog moving in the basket can easily make you lose balance. For this reason, bike pet trailers are adequate for transporting large breed dogs.
Bike pet trailers are similar to those for kids. They are usually suitable for dogs up to 80lbs although some models can bare heavier weights. The main advantage of the trailer is that it keeps the pooch at a safe distance, making riding safer for both of you.
Another advantage of the pet trailers is the presence of the canopy. This feature will provide shade to your furry friend, keeping it out of the sun or rain. Moreover, the pet trailer is also more comfortable than a pet basket.
How To Choose A Bike Pet Trailer For Large Breed Dogs?
As it is easy to imagine, the weight capacity is really important when choosing bike pet trailers for large breed dogs.
In broad terms, large breed dogs can have a weight between 50lbs and 90lbs at maturity, therefore it is essential to choose a trailer able to handle such a heavy load. For this reason, kid?s trailers are often unsuitable to transport large pooches.
There are few large breed dogs with weights lower than 50lbs which travel well in pet trailers suitable for medium-size dogs. However, we still recommend choosing a trailer that can handle heavy loads.
Bike pet trailers can have a high weight capacity and small dimensions. This is often an issue pet owner encounter when choosing a trailer for their large pet. Remember that Fido should sit comfortably in the trailer, therefore check the size before buying.
If you can?t find a suitable trailer, make sure the one you like has a removable canopy and that it can be changed to accommodate a tall or robust canine.
Like for kids, the safety of your dog is important. Leash ties, wheel brakes, side reflectors and a rear light are the minimum to look for. A tow bar safety strap and a flag are two other things that can protect the pooch and yourself from potential accidents.
Not all trailers were created equal and not all of them are compatible with all types of bikes. To make a worthy investment, check if the trailer is compatible with your vehicle.
Trailers usually attach to the seat post or frame, therefore make sure their attachments fit the size of the rear wheel and the diameter of the bar.
Best Bike Pet Trailers For Large Breed Dogs
1. PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bike Trailer for Dogs
PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout is one of the best bike pet trailers on the market. Popular for many reasons, this cycling gear will help you take your large-breed pooch with you in all adventures. The trailer is available in four sizes and two finishes, and it can carry up to 110lbs.This trailer is designed specifically for pets and it is made either of aluminum or of steel. Moreover, there are two purchase options regarding the size. You?ll be able to buy the trailer for medium-size or large-size dogs, depending on the weight and height of your pooch.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer is made to ensure safe rides and it comes with an adjustable safety leash, reflectors on the cabin and on each wheel, and enough space for a rear light, keeping you and your pet visible in all light conditions.
The cabin, on the other hand, boasts a durable construction and it is made of 600D polyester. The enclosed design and waterproof floorboard will keep your furry friend protected from the elements and the sun. The cabin is also easy to clean with a damp cloth.
Things We Liked
- Size: this bike pet trailer boasts a large, enclosed cabin able to accommodate almost all large-breed dogs. The internal dimensions of the cabin are 33x22x26 inches.
- Choice: the trailer is available in two sizes and two material options. Besides the size, you can choose between an aluminum or a steel frame.
- Tires: made to ensure smooth rides on all terrains, the trailer comes with two 16-inch tires which are pre-filled with air.
- Support: the manufacturer provides ongoing support to all customers and is contactable by phone, email, or chat.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The hitch is incompatible with quick release bikes.
2. Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer is ideal for medium size dogs and suitable for some large-breed exemplars. The trailer holds pets up to 50lbs and it has a storage compartment that can hold an additional 12lbs of gear. Although not recommended, you can increase the weight capacity and carry a 62lbs pet if you don?t have to carry any riding or dog gear in the trailer.Apart from the low weight limit, this trailer is simply awesome. Designed specifically to provide comfortable rides to your furry family member, this trailer comes with a non-slippery liner which is easily removable and washable.Check Price on Amazon
Apart from the liner, the trailer features a safety leash connector which maximizes safety and comfort.
Regarding compatibility, the trailer comes with a universal coupler that attached it to almost any bike. The carrier is easy to install and has sturdy wheels made of aluminum and covered in rubber. Along with its other features, this pet trailer is certainly one of the best.
Things We Liked
- Folding: this pet trailer occupies a little space when not in use, thanks to its collapsible design. Simply fold it and for storage or easy transport.
- Quick-release wheels: for a neat storage solution, the wheels of the trailer are detachable and fitted with a quick-release system.
- Rear door: the trailer is designed to allow an easy entrance and exit for your pooch. Moreover, it also features an adjustable bug screen.
- Easy to clean: the trailer features a non-slippery liner that improves the comfort of the dog. The liner is easy to clean with a damp cloth.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The weight capacity is 50lbs, which is too low for most large breed dogs.
3. Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger
Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger is an awesome pet trailer for those active owners who also enjoy jogging with their pet. And if you?re wondering why would you need a stroller for a large breed dog, the explanation is simple.In fact, if your dog has a condition that prevents him from running, you will still be able to enjoy a good, regenerating jog with your pooch, by carrying him in the jogger.Check Price on Amazon
Apart from this feature, the trailer is just great. It has a weight capacity of 88lbs and an internal size that can easily accommodate most large-breed dogs. In detail, the internal size is 30.5×23.5×21.5 inches and suitable for robust dogs.
Another thing we like is the safety. The trailer is equipped with reflectors positioned on the sides, wheels, and rear. Moreover, a flag lets everyone know you and your pet are around.
Things We Liked
- Wheels: this trailer comes with smooth-rolling 20-inch wheels that can handle all types of terrains. It also has a quick-release front wheel that transforms the trailer into a jogger.
- Entrance: for maximum convenience, the cabin has three entrances that can get your pet in and out of the trailer in a breeze. The entrances are located in the front, in the back and on top of the cabin.
- Convertible: this bike pet trailer comes with a removable front wheel that converts it to a stroller in minutes and without tools.
- Safety: the trailer comes with a warning flag, a leash attachment, and reflectors on the wheels and rear of the cabin.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The cabin could be made of a stronger material.
4. MB Booyah Large Pet Trailer
MB Booyah Large Pet Trailer is another trailer and stroller to consider if you?re looking for a 2-in-1 product. This trailer is designed for dogs up to 88lbs and it has quite large internal dimensions. In detail, the trailer measures 32x24x21 inches and is large enough to accommodate an average-sized large breed dog.The trailer features a quick-release front wheel that mounts in minutes and without tools. The handlebar is also removable if you?re not planning to use the trailer as a stroller.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding comfort, the trailer comes with a padded liner designed to provide smooth rides to the pooch. Apart from the liner, the trailer also boasts large windows equipped with bug screens while the full canopy protects the pet from elements.
The trailer has a zippered rear and front entrance, a removable sunroof and an adjustable handlebar that helps you push the stroller with ease.
Things We Liked
- Versatility: this jogger and trailer is great for a wide range of applications, it is compatible with most bikes and transforms in seconds.
- Compact: boasting a collapsible design, the trailer folds compactly when not in use and is easy to store in small spaces.
- Aluminum wheels: the trailer is equipped with aluminum wheels which won?t rust in time. This increases the durability and longevity of the product.
- Manual brake: thanks to this feature, it is possible to remove the handlebar of the stroller and reduce the weight of the item. >
Things We Didn’t Like
- The padding is rather thin.
5. InStep Robin Two Seat Portable Bike Trailer for Children or Pets
InStep Robin Two Seat Portable Bike Trailer for Children or Pets is another bike trailer to consider either for a large breed dog or for your kids. This trailer boasts an incredible resistance, a large cabin area and a weight capacity of 80 lbs.The trailer can accommodate two kids with a maximum weight of 40lbs each, or a tall dog that needs extra space. Besides the spacious cabin, the trailer also boasts other unique features that make it one of the best trailers on the market.Check Price on Amazon
A feature we really like is the unique folding frame that allows the trailer to fold laterally rather than collapse. This reduces the footprint of the folded item, making it easier to transport and store.
Another great feature is the roll-up weather shield designed to protect the kids or the pet from weather and environmental elements. Moreover, the trailer has a padded seat with sewn-in structure that improves the comfort of the passengers.
Things We Liked
- Molded rims: the trailer comes with 16-inch molded rims and pneumatic tires that provide smooth rides on all terrains.
- Easy loading: the cabin has a zippered entry/exit door with bug screen that allows an easy loading of the passengers.
- Padded seat: comfortable for small humans or large dogs, the trailer has a padded seat with sewn-in structure.
- Folding system: this trailer folds laterally and occupies a little space when not in use. It easily fits under a bed.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trailer is not compatible with all types of bikes.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout is the best bike pet trailer on the market. What we like about this trailer, besides quality, is the choice. The trailer is available in four purchase options that differ in terms of size and materials.
Regarding size, you can choose between a trailer for medium breed or large breed dogs. Regarding materials, you can choose between aluminum or steel frame. This broad choice allows users to find the best trailer in terms of dimension, costs, and durability.
The trailer has a weight capacity of 110lbs and is suitable for all large-breed dogs. Combined with a spacious cabin, the weight limit makes the trailer one of the tops. Without a doubt, this is one of the best bike pet trailers for large breed dogs available on the market.