If you love cycling but feel like you could use a little help every now and then, an electric bike kit could help you convert your traditional bike into an electric bike. Investing in an electric bike kit is also a more cost-effective solution compared to buying an electric bike.
This guide will show you what to consider before buying an electric bike kit and which are the most popular models on the market. If you don?t feel like reading, click on the links below to check out our selection.
An electric bike could be an adequate solution for many cyclists compared to the traditional bike, especially if used majorly for commuting. An e-bike is a regular bike fitted with an electric motor that only comes into operation during pedaling.
Moreover, the motor should also stop assisting the cyclist if a speed of 16 mph is exceeded. In other words, the motor only acts as an aid, also known as a PAS device, that assists cyclists and allows them to pedal with less effort.
- 1 What Is An Electric Bike Kit?
- 2 How To Install An Electric Bike Kit
- 3 How To Choose An Electric Bike Kit
- 4 Best Electric Bike Kit
- 4.1 1. Aosom 26″ Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Electric Battery Powered Bicycle Motor Conversion Kit
- 4.2 2. AW 26″x1.75″ Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Motor Kit
- 4.3 3. Pinty 26″x1.8″ Front or Rear Wheel Ebike Hub Motor Conversion Kit with Dual Mode Controller
- 4.4 4. Electric Bike Bafang 8fun Mid Drive Crank Motor 36v 500w BBS02
- 4.5 5. Clean Republic Electric Bike Kit
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
What Is An Electric Bike Kit?
An electric bike kit, also known as a bike conversion kit, is a set of instruments and devices needed to transform a traditional bike into an electric bike. Usually, the kits should not have a motor with a power greater than 250W, although higher powers are available on the market, and the motors are usually powered by a rechargeable battery.
The main advantage of mounting an electric bike kit on your bike is the fact that you can still use your favorite bike for commuting or training, rather than changing it. Moreover, this method is also cheaper compared to buying a brand new electric bike.
On the market, there are dozens of models of electric bike kits available. Although they will ultimately do the same thing, they have different types and the costs also range widely between a few hundred bucks and a few thousand.
Naturally, the price is proportional to the quality of the components, including the motor, battery, the pedaling detection system, board computers and other elements usually included in the kit.
As a side note, we strongly recommend investing in an e-bike if you don?t have a bike at all. If you have to invest in both bike and electric bike kit, is simply not worth the hassle of installing the components yourself.
How To Install An Electric Bike Kit
How To Choose An Electric Bike Kit
Choosing an electric bike kit is not always simple and there are many things to check out before deciding which one is the best for you.
The first thing to consider is the compatibility with your bike. Some electric bike kits require free space on various points on the frame, such as for example on the center of the frame. Generally, manufacturers provide precise information on space and frame requirements, and if the kit doesn?t specify these details it?s probably not worth investing in it.
The minimum size of the bike should also be mentioned in the instruction manual. But despite size and space, you should also pay attention to the strength of the frame in particular and bike in general. An electric bike kit will add a few pounds of extra weight and you should make sure that your bike can support it.
Apart from these considerations, you should also make some general considerations that are similar to those you should make before buying a brand new e-bike.
One of the most important things to consider is the customer service offered by the manufacturer and also the existence of service points that you can contact for the kit?s maintenance and issues. Keep in mind that you?ll need to replace the battery every two or three years, or you might need assistance if the unit brakes down.
For this reason, it is recommended to choose a kit manufactured by a trusted brand. This is essential for what regards the spare parts but also the product?s warranty. In fact, an anonymous company which may import low-quality electric bike kits might close and leave you with a bad engine or no spare parts.
Regarding the installation of the kit, assembling and mounting an electric bike kit is not particularly complicated but it does require some familiarity with the mechanics of a bike. However, if the kit comes with clear and detailed instructions you might be able to mount the kit in your garage.
The simples electric bike kits comprise a motor that should be mounted on the front wheel. These kits are usually easy to mount and only require a bit of skill and patience. However, some kits have a motor that should be installed in the gravitational center of the bike, usually in the middle of the frame. These kits are harder to install and you?d better ask a professional mechanic for help.
Moreover, keep in mind that if the kit doesn?t fit properly on your bike, or if it is badly mounted, it may break in a short time, becoming useless. Additionally, most manufacturers recommend the mounting by trusted service providers and in some cases, you might even lose warranty if you mount the electric bike kit yourself.
The warranty of the bike might also be lost after the conversion.
Best Electric Bike Kit
1. Aosom 26″ Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Electric Battery Powered Bicycle Motor Conversion Kit
The Aosom 26'' Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Electric Battery Powered Bicycle Motor Conversion Kit is one of the most popular kits designed to convert your traditional bicycle into an electric bike. The motor conversion kit is designed to provide speeds up to 28 mph and includes a battery-powered 1000W motor.The kit comprises the motor and a 26-inch rear wheel that fits on most bikes. Moreover, it also includes a set of two hand brakes needed to stop the motor and a pedal sensor which helps to power the motor. The motor is compatible with all disc brakes between 140 and 160 mm.Check Price on Amazon
The kit also includes an electric controller and a thumb throttle, the rear wheel and a battery carrying case with a harness that can be mounted under the saddle. However, the kit is missing the actual disc brake and the battery.
Regarding installation, the kit is easy to mount and the manufacturer delivers it together with a comprehensive and complete instructions booklet.
Things We Liked
- Motor: the 1000W motor is powerful enough to provide a maximum speed of 28 mph. However, check your state?s regulations before investing in it.
- Wheel: the kit is designed to mount on the rear wheel, and the wheel is provided with the kit. It fits most bikes.
- Weight: the kit is fairly lightweight. It weighs only 28,7 pounds, which is quite low for an electric bike kit, but keep in mind that it doesn?t come with a battery.
- Pedal sensor: this electric bike kit is perfect to help you with pedaling, thanks to the pedal sensor.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The kit doesn?t include the battery and the charger, which means an additional cost.
2. AW 26″x1.75″ Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Motor Kit
If you?d rather mount a front wheel kit instead of a rear one, then you could consider the AW 26''x1.75'' Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Motor Kit.The specifications of this electric bike kit are similar to the ones of the kit described above, with the main difference that this one is designed for the front wheel. In detail, the kit comes with a 26-inch front wheel together with a 48V 1000W brushless hub motor that can provide a maximum speed of 28 mph.Check Price on Amazon
The kit is designed with a pedal assistance system that will allow you to enjoy cycling without too much effort, while the dual mode controller allows the motor to work both under Hall effect and non-Hall effect for an extended electric bike life.
The kit includes all components except for the battery. The manufacturer recommends a battery with a nominal capacity of at least 17 Ah and 48V.
Things We Liked
- Kit: this electric bike kit includes almost everything needed to convert your bike into an e-bike, except for the battery.
- LCD display: the kit comes with an LCD display that allows you to monitor the status of the battery, speed, mileage, and other important information.
- PAS: the pedal assistance system will let you enjoy the benefits of cycling without requiring too much effort.
- Carrying bag: the kit comes with a resistant carrying bag that has a zippered main compartment designed to hold the controller.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This kit is also missing the battery, which is a pain.
3. Pinty 26″x1.8″ Front or Rear Wheel Ebike Hub Motor Conversion Kit with Dual Mode Controller
Pinty proposes a series of 26''x1.8'' Front or Rear Wheel Ebike Hub Motor Conversion Kit with Dual Mode Controller designed to address all cyclists and needs. The manufacturer sells all its electric bike kits without batteries or disc brakes, but one of the models comes with a lead-acid battery charger, which is a big plus.In detail, you?ll be able to choose between two mounting options and two motors with different powers. All kits include all the parts required for the assembly, and mounting is usually easy enough to be understood even by beginners.Check Price on Amazon
The kits are designed either for the front or for the rear wheel. All kits include the wheel, the motor, and the other parts. Moreover, you?ll also be able to choose between a 500W or a 1000W motor.
Regarding other specifications, the 500W engine requires a 36V battery, while the 1000W needs a 48W battery. The weight of the kits varies between 23,1 and 28,7 pounds.
Things We Liked
- Options: you?ll be able to choose between various types of kits and you?ll have total flexibility on how much power you want to add to your bike.
- Wheels included: all Pinty kits include the wheels needed for the installation of the kits. You can choose between front or rear wheel.
- Charger: one of the kits comes with a lead-acid battery charger, which is a great addition. It will limit you to the choice of the battery, though.
- Well-built: the kit, and above all the wheel, is well built and made to last. The manufacturer also has a great customer service.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The motors don?t have any power limiting, which allows them to use more than the stated power and drain the battery fast.
4. Electric Bike Bafang 8fun Mid Drive Crank Motor 36v 500w BBS02
If you?re not willing to change your bike?s wheel but looking for a simple kit that allows you to transform your traditional bike into an electric one with no hassle, then the Electric Bike Bafang 8fun Mid Drive Crank Motor 36v 500w BBS02 might be the answer to your needs.This electric bike kit comes with a 500W motor that is powered by a 36V battery. The motor is powerful enough to reach a speed of 19 mph, while the programmable control panel will let you set all the desired parameters and monitor the status of your bike.Check Price on Amazon
The kit is designed to fit most standard bikes, and in detail, it fits all standard bottom brackets with a dimension between 68 and 72 mm. The kit includes almost all accessories needed to power up your bike, including a pair of cut-off e-bike brake levers and a thumb throttle.
Just like the kits described above, the kit doesn?t include a battery or its charger. The motor requires a 36 V battery.
Things We Liked
- Simplicity: this kit is easy to install and ideal for most cyclists. You?ll not have to replace any wheel and the system is compatible with almost all bikes.
- Programmable: the kit comes programmed with 10 modes which include a non-assisted pedaling mode and 9 pedal assist modes.
- Power: the power is just right for most cyclists. In detail, the kit includes a 500W motor which can reach a speed of 19 mph.
- Thumb throttle: a full throttle cycling is available on all pedal assist modes.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Some users believe that the battery doesn?t provide sufficient power.
5. Clean Republic Electric Bike Kit
Clean Republic Electric Bike Kit is probably the safest option if you want to make sure that your new electric bike will comply with the federal regulations. The kit is available for wheels with a diameter between 20 and 26 inches or 700c wheels and it comes with a 24V 500W motor powered by a lithium battery.The kit mounts directly on the wheel, which is included in the package, and it replaces the wheel on the bike. Moreover, you?ll also have the possibility to choose the battery you like from three options provided by the manufacturer.Check Price on Amazon
In fact, the kit comes with a battery, and you can choose between an 8-mile, 12-mile, and 20-mile battery.
The kit is compatible with almost all types of bikes, thanks to the wide range of wheels it comes with. To check which type of kit is the right one for you, just check the number on your wheel and compare it with the one stated by the manufacturer.
Things We Liked
- Limited power: the whole purpose of an electric bike is that of slightly assisting you with the pedaling. Thanks to the 250W motor, this kit is just perfect.
- Options: the kit comes with wheels of different sizes, including 20?, 24?, 26? and 700c wheels. Check your wheel to determine which kit is right for you.
- Battery included: the kit comes with a durable 24V lithium battery. You?ll also be able to choose from three models, according to your needs or budget.
- Easy to mount: the kit is easy to install by following the manufacturer?s instructions.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Because the motor has a rather low power, is prone to overheating when riding on steep hills.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Although it has the weakest motor, we believe that the best electric bike kit available on the market is the Clean Republic Electric Bike Kit.
A 250W motor is just right for an electric bike, and this kit comes with features and characteristics that most models lack.
First of all, the kit is compatible with most bikes thanks to the wide range of wheels available. It is also compatible with bikes with disc brake, which is a plus. But most importantly, the kit comes with a battery.
You?ll be able to choose the battery you like best based on your needs or budget, and purchase everything you need to convert your bike to electric in a single solution.