On the market, there is an increasing demand for electric trikes for adults. And there is no wonder why.
They are fun and easy to ride, suitable for all riders and easy-going for those who are not in the best shape.
Nevertheless, there is little information available about these vehicles and most bike shops don?t even sell them (even in 2020).
If you?d like to know more about them, read on.
If you already know you want one and don?t feel like reading, use the links below to check out the best electric trikes for adults on the market.
If you?re a healthy and fit cyclist, you might wonder who needs an adult trike. Yet, there are many adults and seniors who would love a ride just as much as you do, yet they don?t have the abilities or physical capacity to ride a traditional bike.
Moreover, there are dozens of adults who simply don?t trust their cycling skills and who would prefer riding a trike instead. For all these people, and for many others, an electric trike for adults might be the best solution.
- 1 Who Can Ride Electric Trikes For Adults
- 2 How To Choose Electric Trikes For Adults
- 3 Best Electric Trikes For Adults And Seniors
- 3.1 1. Addmotor MOTAN M-350 Electric Tricycle 24 Inch
- 3.2 2. RBM EV Libert-e Adult Electric Pedal Trike
- 3.3 3. EW-29 Electric Trike Adult Tricycle E-Wheels 500 Watt Pedaling
- 3.4 4. Worksman Adult Port-o-Trike Lightning Electric Tricycle
- 3.5 5. Bistro Electric Trike
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Who Can Ride Electric Trikes For Adults
Riding a traditional bike is often an activity reserved for those who are physically fit and who know how to maintain their balance on the two wheels. Things are different in the case of a tricycle. In fact, all adults who don?t have serious mobility or health issues can ride a trike. This applies to the electric trikes too.
The main advantage of the electric trikes for adults compared to the traditional pedal-propelled vehicles is that they are suitable for those who want to pedal every now and then but sit back and relax when they are tired.
In other words, the electric trike for adults is ideal for the senior riders who want to keep fit but don?t have the ability to pedal all the way. They are also suitable for those suffering from balance issues or other physical handicaps. Thanks to the three wheels, the trikes are stable on their own and easy to ride by almost everyone.
How To Choose Electric Trikes For Adults
Electric trikes for adults are not all the same. There are different models available on the market and you can choose based on the type of frame or of wheels.
Based on the type of frame, you can choose from low-step trikes, vintage trikes, traditional trikes and even chopper trikes. The low-step frames are the most popular among seniors because they are comfortable to ride.
Traditional and vintage trikes are often preferred by the younger adults who chose a trike over a bicycle for fun or convenience, while chopper trikes are the most popular among those who have a nonconventional lifestyle and try to make a statement with their choices.
When it comes to the wheels, some electric types are equipped with rugged tires that provide an excellent traction on all types of terrains. If you?re going to use the trike mainly in the city, then all models available on the market are probably suitable.
Electric trikes for adults are usually manufactured in two sizes, with 20-inch or 24-inch wheels. The 20-inch trikes are suitable for people with heights up to 5?6??, while the 24-inch trikes are suitable for people 5?6?? or taller.
Although you probably can ride a trike of any size, your experience will experience might not be the best if you choose one that is not right for you.
Most electric trikes for adults reach speeds of 15 mph and are comparable in terms of speed with the golf carts. An average electric trike for adults usually has a 7-gear transmission and they work in a way similar to the traditional electric bikes.
Since there isn?t a major difference between the two types of vehicles, it is also possible to convert a regular trike for adults to electric with an electric bike kit. In this case, it is even possible to increase the maximum speed to 25 mph or even more.
Because most adults who decide to invest in an electric trike do it for fun or convenience, there are a few features you might want to have.
One of them is the presence of a storage basket. If the trike doesn?t come with one, make sure you can securely install a bike basket on the vehicle.
Some electric trikes come with an integrated speedometer or odometer and this is another great feature to look for. If the model you like doesn?t come with one, you can always install your own odometer on the trike. This little device will help you monitor your speed and track your performance when pedaling.
An adjustable seat is another thing you might want the trike to have. The seat should not only be adjustable in height, but you should be able to adjust its recline too. This feature is important for seniors or for those who have mobility issues, as it allows them to sit comfortably.
Electric trikes for adults are bulky. For this reason, you should also consider the storage options and solutions. If you don?t have enough space to store a full-size electric trike, you can consider investing in a foldable model.
Most indoor bike storage racks are unsuitable to use with trikes but the ceiling suspended racks might be a solution.
Best Electric Trikes For Adults And Seniors
1. Addmotor MOTAN M-350 Electric Tricycle 24 Inch
The Addmotor MOTAN M-350 Electric Tricycle is one of the most popular electric trikes for adults. This model is popular among young adults and senior riders alike thanks to its heavy-duty design. This trike is ideal for those who carry heavy loads, such as the carriers, or those who simply want an electric trike for their daily commute.The trike is designed to fit adults with heights between 5?2?? and 6?6?? and boasts a 24-inch front wheel. The tires are rugged and perfect for all terrains, making this electric trike ideal for leisure or commuting.Check Price on Amazon
The trike is powered by a 500W brushless motor and it can easily reach speeds up to 20 miles per hour. On a single charge, the trike can run up to 45 miles when the level one of pedal assist function is used. Just like for an electric bike, you can cycle without electric assistance if you want to.
Apart from the technical characteristics, the trike has some interesting features to consider. One of them is the large storage basket placed in the rear of the trike. This basket is large enough to store your groceries, your pet or your picnic gear.
Things We Liked
- Frame: the trike?s frame is made of heavy-duty 6061 aluminum alloy and it is equipped with a fork suspension that cushions the ride on bumpy terrains.
- Tires: the fat bike tires are ideal for those who want to ride on uneven terrains, such as in the countryside or on the beach.
- LCD monitor: the manufacturer equipped the trike with an LCD monitor that displays the speed and other relevant information.
- Fast recharge: the trike?s battery recharges in less than 5 hours, depending on the battery?s status.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trike is hard to ride and particularly hard to turn if you have no practice on this type of vehicle.
2. RBM EV Libert-e Adult Electric Pedal Trike
RBM?s Libert-e is, without a doubt, one of the easiest to ride and fun to have electric trike for adults. This vintage-looking tricycle boasts all the qualities of a modern vehicle and it is ideal for all types of riders, from leisure to commuting.The e-trike has a lightweight frame and a low-step mounting that allow seniors, women and those with reduced mobility ride it in all safety. The 20-inch front wheel and 18-inch rear wheels boast rugged tires and the frame is equipped with heavy-duty front shocks that makes all rides smooth, even when cycling on rough terrain.Check Price on Amazon
But the best thing about this trike is that it features a rear end differential transmission that distributes power equally to both rear wheels. This translates to greater power, traction, and safety.
The Libert-e doesn?t reach outstanding speeds, yet its 11 mph is just perfect for most riders. And the battery kit is removable, meaning that you?ll be able to transform the e-trike into a regular trike and vice versa any time you like.
Things We Liked
- Brakes: the Libert-e is equipped with both front and rear disc brakes which increase the braking efficiency and the safety.
- Removable battery pack: if you want to use the trike for both training and workout, it is easy to remove the battery pack and reduce the weight of the vehicle.
- Transmission: this e-trike has a rear end differential transmission that improves traction, power, and safety.
- Cargo basket: boasting a large rear cargo basket, the trike is suitable for many activities including carrying shopping bags or heavy loads.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The battery needs between 6 and 8 hours to recharge.
3. EW-29 Electric Trike Adult Tricycle E-Wheels 500 Watt Pedaling
The EW-29 Electric Adult Tricycle is an easy to operate and easy to ride electric trike for adults to consider if you?re mainly practicing leisure cycling. This trike can be operated in three modes, by pedaling, 100% electric or assisted pedaling mode.The trike is powered by a 500-watt battery that provides sufficient power to propel the trike with up to 11 mph. This might not be the fastest e-trike on the market, but the speed is just sufficient to allow adult and senior cyclists enjoy their ride.Check Price on Amazon
The frame is made of strong steel and it boasts a low step design which is another great feature if you have mobility issues.
Another feature we like is the presence of two storage baskets, one on the front and one on the rear of the trike. The rear basket is large enough to hold bulky items or even a large pet, while the front one is perfect to hold your bottle of water, handbag or essentials.
Things We Liked
- Design: the frame is ideal for both adult and senior riders. The low step frame makes getting on this trike a breeze.
- Battery indicator: the battery indicator is a very convenient feature as it will allow you to monitor the status of your battery and decide when to turn back home.
- Forward/reverse switch: in electric mode, you?ll be able to operate the trike in a way similar to an electric scooter and even use the reverse mode.
- Backrest: the seat has a convenient backrest designed to make the ride more comfortable.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Despite the backrest, the seat is quite narrow and small. You should also check how well assembled the trike is before riding.
4. Worksman Adult Port-o-Trike Lightning Electric Tricycle
This electric trike for adults impressed both experienced cyclists and enthusiast beginners with its outstanding performance. The trike is ideal for those who can?t or don?t want to ride a traditional bike for one reason or another, and it reaches a speed of 15 mph.The trike works both manually and powered by the battery. It has an autonomy of about 30 miles in assisted pedaling mode, it is easy to operate and easy to recharge from any electric outlet.Check Price on Amazon
Apart from this, the trike boasts other interesting features, such as a large cargo basket placed in the rear, a comfortable seat and a low step frame.
But what we like best about this electric trike for adults is the storage convenience. The trike boasts a foldable frame that makes storing or transporting the trike a breeze. The trike is also fairly lightweight given its size, which is another bonus.
Things We Liked
- Frame: besides having a low step design and an attractive color, the frame is foldable making this trike convenient to store.
- Display: the trike comes with a battery status display that will help you monitor how far you can go.
- Size: the trike is ideal for adults with heights below 6?0?? and boasts a 20-inch front wheel. It is easy to maneuver and turn on all terrains.
- Comfort: this trike has a comfortable seat and a large cargo basket, making it ideal for a wide range of activities.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trike doesn?t come with detailed instructions on how to put it together.
5. Bistro Electric Trike
The Bistro Electric Trike is the last one we reviewed and there is to say it impressed us. This trike is manufactured in the USA and it complies with all federal rules regarding the electric vehicles and e-bikes. Moreover, it is backed by a 3-year limited warranty.The trike is ideal for people with a height between 5?0?? and 6?2?? and it boasts a 24-inch front wheel and 20-inch rear wheels. The choice of the rear wheel diameter improves the stability and maneuverability of the trike. Moreover, the rear wheels are also more distant from one another compared to other models available on the market.Check Price on Amazon
The trike is powered by a 52V lithium battery and it reaches speeds of up to 20 mph. It can travel for 35 miles on a single charge, depending on the rider?s weight and type of terrain you?re riding on.
The trike is exceptionally stable on bumpy and uneven terrains and it climbs uphill better than many other electric trikes on the market. So, keep this in mind if you?re fond of off-road cycling but can?t ride a traditional bike anymore.
Things We Liked
- Speed: this trike reaches a top speed of 20 mph, which is quite impressive for an assisted pedaling vehicle.
- Low step: ideal for seniors or those suffering from knee problems, this e-trike boasts a low step frame.
- Made in the USA: the trike is made in the USA which means that it complies with all federal standards regarding safety and specifications.
- Slide off rear axle: designed to fit in the trunk of a car or small SUV, this e-trike boasts a slide off rear axle that makes it easy to transport.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The manufacturer doesn?t sell its trike in all states.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the Addmotor MOTAN M-350 Electric Tricycle is probably the best one from all the electric trikes for adults described above. This trike reaches speeds of 20 mph, it is suitable to ride on all types of terrains and it is perfect for carriers, commuters, or senior riders.
It doesn?t matter why you want an electric trike. This one can help you have fun, commute or carry on with your job effortlessly. The battery recharges fast and you?ll be able to pedal any time you want.
The trike might have some flaws and it might take a while to get used to maneuvering it; nonetheless, this is one of the most popular electric trikes for adults for a reason.