Bicycle gloves are indispensable accessories for all cyclists, and their use is recommended for all types of cycling activities, from commuting to mountain biking. So why is this accessory so underestimated? Let?s find out! In the meantime, if you want to jump directly to our top mountain bike gloves selection, just click on the links in the table below.
Wearing bike gloves is not just a question of style or protection against cold. Bike gloves are actually crucial in terms of safety. They provide a greater grip on the handlebars thanks to the special construction and protect your hands from injuries if you happen to fall.
Therefore, the use of the bike gloves regardless of the season and of the biking activity performed is recommended to everyone. Especially in the mountain biking discipline, bike gloves are essential.
Knowing the importance of the bike gloves, many sports equipment manufacturers propose lines of gloves designed for both the cold and the warm seasons and that are suitable for all cycling purposes. But with so many options available on the market, choosing the right pair is a daunting task.
Read our tips to find out how to choose the biking gloves then read our reviews to find out which are the best mountain bike gloves on the market.
- 1 Summer Vs. Winter Bike Gloves: Which Are The Best?
- 2 How To Choose The Mountain Bike Gloves
- 3 Mountain Bike Vs. Road Bike Gloves: What Is The Difference?
- 4 Best Mountain Bike Gloves
- 4.1 1. Pearl Izumi Ride Men?s Elite Gel Full Finger Gloves
- 4.2 2. Giro DND Gloves
- 4.3 3. Fox Head Men?s Digit Safety Bike Gloves
- 4.4 4. INTEY Cycling Gloves
- 4.5 5. HTZPLOO Mountain Bike Gloves
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Summer Vs. Winter Bike Gloves: Which Are The Best?
In principle, bike gloves are divided into two categories, summer and winter. As you can easily imagine, the summer ones are suitable for the warm season and are usually used in countries with warm climates, while the winter gloves are more suitable to use when the temperatures are low.
Winter gloves are typically considered bulky but they have a clear mission, protecting your hands and especially your fingers from freezing. This aspect is extremely important as the fingers are used to actuate the brake system, and frozen fingers can sometimes not move with the same rapidity as the ones kept at a normal temperature.
Just like the mountain bike shoes, the winter mountain bike gloves?must have a breathable inner coating and a waterproof outer shell. And if the temperatures are really low, on the market there are available silk pads that provide an adequate insulation.
Summer mountain bike gloves, on the other hand, are made of lightweight materials and are usually provided with gel inserts on the palm area to provide a better grip. The fingers are usually only half covered and the elasticized fabrics favor the mobility of the hands.
The closures of the mountain bike gloves are usually simple and made of elastic or Velcro. This applies to both summer and winter gloves, while the designs and colors are usually eye-catching.
Regardless of the model, when buying pay attention to the padding on the palm to not be excessive. The padding must provide a good cushioning of the grip but it must still allow you to maintain an adequate sensitivity.
How To Choose The Mountain Bike Gloves
If you are a mountain biking enthusiast, then the bike gloves are essential to improve your grip and keep your hand protected while jumping off the rocks. In fact, the gloves should be able to protect your hands from the inevitable vibrations and help you maintain the control.
For this reason, an essential thing when choosing the mountain bike?gloves is the wise choice of the texture on the palm, paying attention to choose the one that gives you the most grip.
Apart from adherence, you should also pay attention to the padding, as this element will protect your hands from any possible wounds that can develop over time.
Because the risk of falling is greater in the mountain biking than in any other cycling discipline, another essential thing to pay attention to is the length of the gloves. Ideally, they should be long enough to protect both your hands and a part of your forearm in the event of a falling.
Nevertheless, the choice is subjective and some cyclists might prefer the short mountain bike gloves.
Another particular attention should be accorded to the size of the gloves. The gloves should fit you perfectly, sticking well to your hands, to avoid creating problems during cycling.
Mountain Bike Vs. Road Bike Gloves: What Is The Difference?
The main difference between the mountain bike and road bike gloves is given by their function. In fact, these two types of cycling gloves are designed to deliver specific protection in the case of the mountain biking or road biking.
Mountain bike gloves?are designed to provide an excellent grip and protection, apart from comfort both during the warm and the cold seasons. To provide sufficient protection, almost all mountain bike gloves have padded palms coated with anti-slip materials that provide a superior adherence to the handlebar.
On the contrary, road bike gloves are not designed for superior grip or extensive protection, they are designed to reduce as much as possible the discomfort caused by the vibrations.
Because road bikes have weaker suspensions compared to the mountain bikes, they transmit to the hands a larger amount of vibrations. For this reason, the gloves manufactured for this type of cycling are padded with shock-absorbing layers, in addition to other features developed specifically for this type of cycling.
And now that you know the differences between the two most common types of gloves and how to choose the most suitable products, let?s see which are the best mountain bike gloves available on the market.
Best Mountain Bike Gloves
|Pearl Izumi Ride Men's Elite Gel Full Finger Gloves||$$$$|
|Giro DND Gloves||$$$|
|Fox Head Men's Digit Safety Bike Gloves||$$$$$|
|INTEY Cycling Gloves||$$|
|HTZPLOO Mountain Bike Gloves||$$|
1. Pearl Izumi Ride Men?s Elite Gel Full Finger Gloves
Pearl Izumi is a famous manufacturer of cycling clothing and accessories, many of its products being designed specifically for mountain biking. The manufacturer proposes a wide selection of gloves for this discipline, some of the most popular being the Elite Gel full finger gloves.These gloves are manufactured to provide ultimate protection and comfort on any type of trail and boast a gel padding on the palm that is designed to improve the shock-absorption and to provide increased protection in the event of a fall.Check Price on Amazon
The gloves are made of polyester, a breathable material that will keep your hand dry at all times, while the palm padding is made of nylon and polyurethane.
An interesting feature is the synthetic leather index finger and thumb, designed specifically to work with touch screen devices.
Things We Liked
- Breathable: designed for summer use, these mountain bike gloves are made of a breathable material and will certainly keep your hands dry even in the hottest days.
- Color selection: the gloves are available in both black and white and you will have the possibility to match them with your outfit.
- Gel padding: the gel padding is designed to provide superior cushioning and to protect your hand from any potential hazards.
- Synthetic leather index: using any touchscreen device with your gloves on is a breeze, thanks to the synthetic leather index and thumb.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The gloves are rather ?baggy? and you might not like them if you love the perfect fit for other types of cycling gloves.
2. Giro DND Gloves
If you prefer less padded mountain bike gloves, then probably a better choice for you would be the Giro DND Gloves. Characterized by a simple design and an undemanding design, these gloves are made of stretch breathable mesh and suede synthetic leather that provides an excellent protection.Apart from this, the gloves also have a microfiber surface that is highly absorbent and a simple slip-on design that ensure and easy put on and take off.Check Price on Amazon
To protect you from any potential impact, the gloves have reinforced fingertips and flex zones, while the three-panel design is extremely durable. In addition to this, the gloves have a silicone fingertip and also a 2mm EVA crash pad that is thin enough to maintain the sensitivity of the hands yet protective enough to maintain the integrity of the gloves.
Things We Liked
- Various colors and designs:you will be able to choose from twelve different colors and design, a quite wide selection of cycling gloves.
- Super-fit:the gloves are designed to fit perfectly on your hands and maintain the tactile sensitivity in all circumstances.
- Great grip:thanks to the silicone fingertip, these gloves provide an excellent grip and they will allow you maintain the control of your bike even on the most challenging trails.
- Breathable:to ensure a maximum of comfort, the gloves are made of breathable material that will maintain your hand dry.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Because of the thin design, the gloves might not be as durable as one would expect for the price range.
3. Fox Head Men?s Digit Safety Bike Gloves
Designed for intensive heavy use, these mountain bike gloves are made of polyamide nylon, polyester, and neoprene and are built to protect your hands from any potential hazards. The manufacturer designed these gloves to provide maximum performance at an affordable cost, and we can say that the purpose was fully met.To protect your hands, the gloves boast a double-layer Clarino suede construction in synthetic suede, material that also provides an excellent grip on the handlebars. Furthermore, the padded neoprene palms give extra cushioning.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding the comfort, the gloves are lightweight and made of breathable mesh that will certainly keep your hands dry and cool in the hot summer months. Nevertheless, the gloves are still flexible enough to ensure the maintenance of dexterity.
Furthermore, the perfect fit will provide you an improved sensitivity, while the gloves are easy to put on and secure with the low-profile closures.
Things We Liked
- Suitable for various disciplines: although designed for mountain biking, these gloves are suitable for various disciplines including mountain biking, downhill, and BMX.
- Perfect fit: these gloves literally fit perfectly to your hands, helping you maintain the tactile sensitivity while having your hand protected.
- Breathable: the gloves will keep your hands cool in all situations while the breathable material will dry off fast to ensure an increased comfort.
- Available in all sizes: these men?s gloves are suitable for women too, thanks to the wide range of sizes available.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although the gloves are equipped with a double-layer protection, some users feel that they are not the best choice if you are looking for sturdy gloves.
4. INTEY Cycling Gloves
If you love to alternate between full gloves and half gloves, then this set of two cycling glove pairs from INTEY might be the one you are looking for.Boasting impressive features and two differently designed gloves, this set is designed to protect your hands and ensure a superior comfort regardless of the season.Check Price on Amazon
Both pairs boast gel paddings on the palms, feature that ensures a superior protection in the case of a fall. On the other hand, the gloves are made of breathable fabric and synthetic suede, an extremely soft yet durable material that can certainly protect your hands in all situations.
Apart from protection, the gloves have an impressive grip and they will help you maintain the control of your bike literally on any type of trail.
Things We Liked
- Duo set: it doesn?t matter what type of gloves you prefer, this set will bring you two types at a really affordable price.
- Touchscreen design: forget about taking your full gloves off if you want to operate your touch screen devices. Thanks to the innovative design, you will be able to access the devices in any circumstances.
- Unisex: the gloves are suitable for both men and women and they come in a wide range of sizes.
- Suitable for various activities: these gloves are not only suitable for mountain biking, they are also suitable for activities such as hiking or other cycling activities.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Because of their unisex dimensions, these gloves might be smaller than the real men size. Remember this when choosing the right size for you.
5. HTZPLOO Mountain Bike Gloves
Lastly, the lovers of half gloves could consider these HTZPLOO Mountain Bike Gloves some of the best on the market. The gloves come at a more than affordable price, they boast impressive characteristics and they come in a wide range of colors and sizes.Probably the most important characteristic is the superior protection assured by an 8mm shock-absorbent foam applied on the whole palm rather than on patches. Apart from the impact protection and excellent grip, this foam also cuts down the vibrations, relieving the fatigue.Check Price on Amazon
Because they are half gloves, your tactile sensitivity will stay intact during your ride, the only downside being the scarce finger protection.
On the other hand, the gloves are made of stretchable and breathable Lycra and designed to provide a superior comfort regardless of how hot the weather is.
Things We Liked
- Finger loops: the gloves are really easy to take off thanks to the convenient finger loops.
- Lightweight: these gloves are lightweight and comfortable to wear, while the breathable material will keep your hand cool at all times.
- Towel cloth: a characteristic of the road bike gloves used with success for MTB gloves is the towel cloth on the thumb that helps to wipe away sweat.
- Wide color selection: you will be able to choose the style you want from 11 available versions.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although many might prefer the comfort of the half gloves, they are just unsuitable for mountain biking as they don?t offer full protection.
Conclusion & Final Pick
From all the gloves available on the market, the Pearl Izumi Ride Men’s Elite Gel Full Finger Gloves are, without a doubt, the best. At least according to our opinion.
These gloves are manufactured by one of the leaders in the industry of MTB clothing and accessories and they have all the features expected from a pair of excellent mountain bike gloves. From the selection of materials to the padding and cushioning characteristics, these gloves are manufactured to impress.
Apart from the long-lasting characteristics and impeccable quality, the gloves also come in a limited selection of colors, therefore you will be able to match the color with your style.
The only downside of these gloves is the rather high price; nevertheless, your hands deserve to wear a pair of some of the most protective mountain bike gloves on the market.