The bike seat, also named saddle, is a component of the bike often regarded as of secondary importance. For this reason, the saddle is often chosen based on mere aesthetic considerations.?If you don’t want to read all the article, see our selection of mountain bike seats, clicking on the links below.
Finding the right saddle is not always easy and the process requires experience and a little bit of anatomical knowledge. Contrary to what is commonly believed, the saddle doesn?t support the entire weight of the cyclist, but only a part of it depending on the position. The other part of the weight is distributed between pedals and handlebar.
Because the weight distribution can easily change, using an unsuitable bike seat results into a reduced pedaling efficiency and increase of the overall fatigue.
For this reason, we put together a selection of tips and advice to help you choose the right saddle. Then, read out best mountain bike seat reviews and see if you can find the right one.
- 1 Anatomy Of A Bike Seat
- 2 Types Of Bike Seats
- 3 Best Mountain Bike Seat Reviews
- 3.1 1. Allnice Universal Cycling Seat For Mountain Bike
- 3.2 2. 4UGoods Soft Padded MTB Bicycle Saddle
- 3.3 3. Planet Bike Men?s A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle
- 3.4 4. OUTERDO Mountain Bike Seat
- 3.5 5. Bikeroo Bike Saddle With Soft Cushion
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Anatomy Of A Bike Seat
A bike seat presents itself as a tapered shape saddle with a central part that is designed to provide adequate support to the pelvis and ischial tuberosity. In the same time, the tip of the saddle must allow the cyclist?s legs to move freely while cycling, and for this reason, it must be thin.
The saddle can be divided into several parts, namely the rails, the saddle?s shell and the padding.
The rails allow the saddle to be attached to the seat post and mounted on the bike. In detail, the rails are two folded rods with a horizontal central part that allows forward and backward adjustments. These rods can be made of various materials, such as aluminum, steel, titanium, carbon fiber, and at the high-end models, even of magnesium.
The shell of the seat is usually made of molded thermoplastic material, such as nylon or other deformable materials that can easily absorb shocks. On the other hand, the shell of the saddle must deform to adapt to the physical characteristics of the cyclist?s anatomy, dampening in this way the vibrations that the wheels propagate along the bike?s frame.
Some of the most advanced saddle shells are made of carbon fiber, although most of the times they are made of steel and covered in leather.
The padding of the saddle, on the other hand, is the one that actually comes into contact with the cyclist, therefore it should be flexible yet not fragile, be able to absorb shocks and it should also have hypoallergenic and breathable properties. Most of the times, the saddle?s cover is made of closed cell foam, Lycra, leather, or a combination of these materials.
Types Of Bike Seats
Each cyclist has unique physical characteristics, and for this reason, the type of saddle that is suitable for one cyclist is not necessarily suitable for another even if they have similar anthropometric quotas.
But before understanding what requirements a saddle should meet and what characteristics the saddle should have, let?s see what the market proposes. In fact, the saddle manufacturers have made a division between the various types of saddles, studying models specific to different disciplines. Therefore, we can divide the saddles into:
- Racing:these saddles must be tapered and they must offer excellent stiffness and support. However, the padding type of a racing saddle is not essential, since the vibration dampening is not a required feature. Low weight, on the other hand, is an essential feature of a racing saddle, therefore the high-end models are made of carbon fiber.
- Mountain Bike:mountain bike seats are exposed to a different type of forces compared to the racing saddles, and in this case, the seat must have robust rails and a less tapered shape. The saddle must be inclined towards the tip and present a deformable padding designed to dampen the vibrations and also to absorb the impact shock.
- Cruiser:these saddles are designed to provide comfort and stability in long journeys and are characterized by rigid shells and robust rails, as well as by soft paddings that allow a comfortable seating. Most of the times the padding is made of a generous layer of closed cell foam, while the saddle has a less tapered shape to support the weight better.
Apart from these types, we can also differentiate between the following characteristics of the saddles:
- Suspensions:not all saddles have them, but the ones that do ensure a greater absorption of the impact shock. These are some of the best mountain bike seats, and they usually have springs mounted at the rear, under the saddle?s shell.
- Leather seats:unlike the saddles made of plastic shells with foam padding, the leather seats are characterized by a steel shell to which it is attached a leather sheet. These seats are extremely durable and they also adapt very well to the anatomy of the cyclist. However, before they adapt to the user?s anatomy, they might seem uncomfortable and not fit for use. Apart from this, leather saddles also have an excellent breathability and are hypoallergenic, but the leather must be maintained regularly to protect it from the environmental elements.
- Central recess:some saddles present a central recess that goes from the front of the saddle to the rear. These saddles are designed to sustain heavy weights and to avoid compressing the genital area, therefore they are recommended to the robust cyclists or to those suffering from genital problems. The fitter cyclists can also use them but in most of the cases, there will be no benefit from using this type of saddle over the others.
Lastly, a word about the saddles for women. The female body is characterized by a particular anatomy, namely by more developed limbs and wider basins compared to the males. For this reason, women should usually use saddles that are designed specifically for them. There is to say that women saddles can be extremely comfortable for men, but it very unlikely for women to find a men?s saddle comfortable.
Now, let?s see our selection of the best mountain bike seats to choose the one that is most suitable for you.
Best Mountain Bike Seat Reviews
|Allnice Universal Cycling Seat For Mountain Bike||$$|
|4UGoods Soft Padded MTB Bicycle Saddle||$$$$|
|Planet Bike Men's A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle||$$$$$|
|OUTERDO Mountain Bike Seat||$$$|
|Bikeroo Bike Saddle With Soft Cushion||$$$$$|
1. Allnice Universal Cycling Seat For Mountain Bike
According to the users, the Allnice Universal Cycling Seat is a mountain bike seat able to easily exceed the expectations. The saddle is characterized by a slim design and sleek lines, and although it might seem unsuitable for heavy use at a first glance, its features are truly awesome.The saddle has a rather thin padding but that is extremely comfortable. On the other hand, the saddle is lightweight, ergonomic and it has a comfortable design.Check Price on Amazon
Thanks to its length, this mountain bike seat allows sitting more to the rear of the bike, therefore it will be easy to increase your pedaling power, especially when cycling uphill. On the other hand, the design of the saddle reduces with about 40% the pressure to the crotch, compared to other similar saddles.
Things We Liked
- Aggressive look:the sleek lines and black finish make this saddle truly attractive, a perfect fit on any mountain bike.
- Suitable for heavy use:thanks to the high-quality materials of which it is made, this saddle is suitable for a mountain bike but also for BMX and for the road bikes.
- Available in several colors:aside from the whole black version, this saddle is also available in black and red, black and yellow and black and white.
- Durable rails:the rails of the saddle are made of steel, being durable and supporting well any type of shock.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The padding is somehow sticky and it can be uncomfortable sometimes, especially if you decide to ride in shorts.
2. 4UGoods Soft Padded MTB Bicycle Saddle
If you are looking for a comfortable saddle, suitable for both men and women and that can absorb any type of shock during cycling on trails, the soft padded mountain bike seat from 4UGoods might impress you. This seat is characterized by an extremely soft padding made of thick memory foam.Thanks to this feature, the seat absorbs shock easily and it is suitable for various types of bikes.Thanks to the wide design, the saddle is suitable for both men and women, while the comfort groove in the middle of the saddle reduces pressure, ensures a proper airflow and enhances the comfort.Check Price on Amazon
Furthermore, the seat is designed for anatomic relief and it is able to eliminate the pain and discomfort related to some cycling styles.
Things We Liked
- Comfortable shape: this bike seat is really comfortable thanks to the wide shape. Apart from this, the memory foam padding enhances the comfort.
- Long rails: the rails of this seat are long enough to offer a great range of adjustments, while the steel construction ensures their durability.
- Various colors: the color options include an all-black model, or black with red, white, or blue.
- Anatomic relief: the saddle is built to eliminate the pain associated with a number of cycling styles, including mountain biking.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The saddle doesn?t seem to have any negative reports.
3. Planet Bike Men?s A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle
Designed specifically for men, this anatomic relief saddle is certainly a bike seat to consider for your mountain bike. The seat is developed to eliminate numbness and pain that are typically associated with trail riding.In fact, this saddle is not only characterized by ergonomic lines it is also padded with a super soft padding made of an abrasion-resistant material that improves the overall feeling of comfort. Apart from that, the base of the saddle is really flexible and absorbs shocks easily.Check Price on Amazon
In addition to all these features, the saddle boasts a full-length center recess that eliminates pressure in the crotch area and, thanks to an opening located in the middle of the saddle, it also provides an excellent level of ventilation.
Things We Liked
- Three colors and two styles available: the saddle comes either all black or in black and silver, and two styles are also available.
- Allows proper ventilation: riding for prolonged times will not be a problem anymore thanks to the proper ventilation provided by this saddle.
- Great price: this mountain bike seat is of a high quality and it comes at an extremely reasonable price.
- Excellent performances: regarding comfort, shock absorption, and durability, this bike seat is defined as being ?stellar?.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Unfortunately, this bike seat is only suitable for men.
4. OUTERDO Mountain Bike Seat
A fashionable bike seat designed mostly for men but also suitable for women, the OUTERDO mountain bike seat presents a streamlined design that provides maximum firmness and an excellent shockproof. This saddle is comfortable for long rides on trails and gravel paths.To maintain the feeling of comfort for a longer time, this bike seat boasts a human shape design with a long center recess that ensures a proper ventilation, making you feel cooler and also protecting your delicate parts.Apart from this, the mountain bike seat provides a maximum firmness and excellent shockproof, two characteristics able to increase the comfort during cycling.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Gel cushioning: the seat is able to adapt to the shape of your body to provide maximum comfort during long rides.
- Easy to install: the bike seat is really easy to install and it is suitable for a wide type of bikes including mountain bike, cruiser bikes, road bikes and urban bikes.
- Center recess: designed to reduce the pressure on the perineum, the recess also provides a proper airflow, increasing the comfort during riding.
- Lightweight: thanks to the lightweight shell and padding, this seat will not add unnecessary weight to your bike.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The saddle comes in five different colors, but it seems that they are rubbing off quite easily.
5. Bikeroo Bike Saddle With Soft Cushion
The last saddle we included in our top of the best mountain bike seat reviews is the Bikeroo Bike Saddle with Soft Cushion, a bike seat designed specifically for men and that is described as one of the most comfortable bike seats available on the market.This bike seats respects the unique anatomy of the men and presents a hollow core and a deep center cutout that is designed to relieve pressure from the crotch and provide a proper airflow to increase comfort.Check Price on Amazon
The saddle can fit any type of bike, thanks to the universal standard rails. This not only means that you can mount the seat on any outdoor bike, you will even be able to use this bike seat for the fixed gear specific for the indoor cycling.
Things We Liked
- Waterproof cover:unlike many other seats, the Bikeroo seat is waterproof and will maintain its characteristics even in the heaviest rain.
- Mounting tools:apart from being compatible literally with all the bikes, the seat comes with mounting tools and instructions.
- Money back guarantee:the manufacturer guarantees the quality of its products, offering a money back policy.
- Comfortable:thanks to the center recess and design, the bike seat ensures ultimate comfort and proper airflow.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although it is designed to provide ultimate comfort, many users complained about the hardness of the padding.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the best mountain bike seat available on the market is the Planet Bike Men’s A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle. The only real downside of this seat is the fact that it might be really uncomfortable for women, as the manufacturer designed it specifically for men.
Apart from this, the bike seat is one of the most popular on the market.
We like the ergonomic design and the super soft padding, alongside with the full-length center recess that eliminates pressure and increases the comfort during riding on trails.
This, together with the great price, styles, and colors available, as well as the excellent performances, are certainly things that deserve your attention.