Looking for a Schwinn bike trailer for kids or pets? You?re in the right place. This guide aims to show you what are the main types of bike trailers manufactured by the brand, how to choose one and which are the best models on the market.
If you don?t feel like reading, click on the links in the table below and check out the five most popular Schwinn bike trailers.
|Schwinn Echo Double Bike Trailer||$$$|
|Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer||$|
|Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle Trailer||$$$$|
|Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike Trailer||$$|
|Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer||$$$$$|
Schwinn is one of the greatest players on the cycling market. Manufacturing bicycles and cycling gear since 1895, the brand is synonymous with high-quality and reliability. Although the company is currently owned by Pacific Cycle, the brand is still popular all over the world.
Besides bicycles and related gear, Schwinn also manufactures a line of bike trailers. Including passenger and cargo models, Schwinn bike trailers are renowned for many reasons. Let?s find out why cyclists love them and how to choose one for passengers.
- 1 Schwinn: A Brief History
- 2 Types Of Schwinn Bike Trailers
- 3 How To Choose A Schwinn Bike Trailer For Kids And Pets
- 4 Best Schwinn Bike Trailer For Kids Or Pets
- 4.1 1. Schwinn Echo Double Bike Trailer
- 4.2 2. Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
- 4.3 3. Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle Trailer
- 4.4 4. Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike Trailer
- 4.5 5. Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Schwinn: A Brief History
Founded in 1895 in Chicago by German engineer Ignaz Schwinn, the company introduced the Americans and the world to a series of high-quality bikes and cycling gear. The brand became the dominant manufacturer on the American market in the twentieth century, despite its internal struggles.
In fact, Schwinn company declared bankruptcy in 1992 and the brand was sold to Pacific Cycle, a company owned by Dorel Industries. In one way or another, Pacific Cycle contributed to spreading the name throughout the world.
As a distributor of bikes and cycling gear manufactured in Taiwan and China under several historic US cycle brands, Pacific Cycle started exporting the brand to markets outside of the US.
Today, Schwinn brand is used for a series of low-end bikes sold through retail distribution chains and a series of high-end bikes sold through the brand?s website and selected resellers. Nevertheless, the name is synonymous with quality and Schwinn is the reference brand for many enthusiasts.
Types Of Schwinn Bike Trailers
When it comes to cycling gear, Schwinn boasts a series of passenger and cargo bike trailers. Probably the main reason cyclists love these trailers is the compatibility. In fact, if you already have a Schwinn bike and need a trailer, one manufactured by the brand might be the best choice.
Apart from being compatible with Schwinn bikes, these trailers are also compatible with almost all types of bikes available on the market, regardless of the manufacturer.
Schwinn Bike Trailers For Passengers
When it comes to passengers, Schwinn makes bike trailers for kids and for pets. The pet range doesn?t include a wide range of products but they can accommodate almost all breeds of dogs.
The range dedicated to kids is more varied and includes single and double trailers. Moreover, some of the trailers for kids transform into strollers or joggers, for added versatility.
All Schwinn trailers for passengers come with exceptional safety features, they are comfortable, spacious and provide smooth rides.
Schwinn Bike Trailers For Cargo
The Schwinn range of cargo trailers includes a series of products with several weight capacities. Among their main feature, we can cite the large sturdy wheels and choice of high-quality fabrics designed to keep your load safe and away from the elements.
How To Choose A Schwinn Bike Trailer For Kids And Pets
Do you need a Schwinn bike trailer for your kid? For your pet? Or maybe for both? The type of passenger determines what type of trailer you need. The brand manufactures different types of trailers designed specifically for kids or for pets, but a kid?s trailer can double as a pet trailer too.
Moreover, if you want to transport both your kid and your pet, a double trailer can solve the issue and accommodate both the human and pet passengers in all safety.
When it comes to size, you can choose between single or double. The names are self-explanatory but there might be situations when a double trailer might be more suitable for a single passenger.
This is often the case of owners of giant-breed dogs who have difficulties in finding a suitably-sized trailer for their furry friend.
This is an important aspect to consider for all bike trailers. Despite the brand or purpose, loading the trailer with a weight higher than its maximum capacity can reduce the safety of the trailer. The extra-weight may damage the frame or wheels of the trailer, posing a risk for both passenger and cyclist.
Most passengers trailers for kids have capacities up to 50lbs, while the trailers for pets can carry up to 80lbs. Double trailers are usually suitable for two kids with a weight up to 40lbs each.
Some Schwinn bike trailers for kids convert to a stroller or jogger and are perfect for active parents. These models are usually equipped with a quick-release front wheel which is easy to put on and take off.
When it comes to versatility, also check the storage space. Carrying luggage in the cabin next to the passenger poses a safety risk, that?s why most models have a separate storage space.
Schwinn bike trailers are usually compatible with all Schwinn bikes but not only. Schwinn passenger trailers are compatible with almost all bikes, including those with quick-release axles. However, it is recommended to check the specifications of the trailer and those of your bike before investing in one.
Best Schwinn Bike Trailer For Kids Or Pets
1. Schwinn Echo Double Bike Trailer
Schwinn Echo Double Bike Trailer is one of the most popular passenger trailers preferred by those who want to ride with the kids. The spacious cabin offers plenty of room for two toddlers and it is ideal for kids older than 8 months.The trailer is supported by two 20-inch alloy wheels fitted with air tires. Thanks to the size of the wheels and robustness of the tires, the trailer provides smooth rides on all types of terrains. Regarding compatibility, the trailer comes with a universal coupler that mounts to most bikes.Check Price on Amazon
The weight limit of the trailer is 80lbs and the manufacturer recommends it for two kids with a maximum weight of 40lbs each. However, thanks to the generous limit and space, the trailer is ideal for a large-breed dog too.
Regarding safety, the trailer boasts two comfortable seats fitted with safety harnesses. The seats include a helmet mesh and shoulder pads that improve the passenger comfort, while a 2-in-1 canopy and bug screen keeps the insects out of the way. The trailer also has a weather shield that will keep the passengers dry and cool.
Things We Liked
- Compatibility: this Schwinn bike trailer comes with a universal coupler and is compatible with most types of bikes.
- Wheels: the sturdy alloy wheels of the trailer measure 20 inches in diameter and are equipped with sturdy air tires that improve performance.
- Flag: the trailer is equipped with a safety flag and reflectors meant to make the trailer well-visible in traffic.
- Canopy: this Schwinn trailer boasts a canopy that doubles as a bug shield and sunscreen. Moreover, it also comes with a weather shield.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The air tires are easy to damage.
2. Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
Looking to provide smooth rides to your four-pawed child? Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer is the most popular Schwinn bike trailer designed specifically for pets. Ideal for cats and small to medium breed dogs, this trailer has a weight capacity of 50lbs.The trailer was engineered for the comfort of the pets and has a non-slippery interior lined with a comfortable liner which is removable and washable. For an easy in and out, the cabin has a rear door, while the 16-inch aluminum rims and air-filled tires provide smooth rides on all terrains.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer?s frame is made of steel and has a unique folding design that allows an easy storage and transport. Moreover, the wheels are easy to remove for the same purposes.
For safety reasons, the trailer features an adjustable leash holder that prevents the pet from leaping out of the trailer. The cabin features large mesh windows and the canopy will keep Fido out of the sun or rain.
Things We Liked
- Spacious: this bike trailer has a spacious cabin designed specifically to accommodate small or medium-breed dogs.
- Liner: designed for your dog?s comfort, the trailer boasts a non-slippery liner, large mesh windows, and a thick canopy.
- Easy to clean: the liner is removable and washable, while the trailer is easy to clean with a damp cloth.
- Compatibility: the trailer comes with a universal coupler that attaches to almost all bikes. The trailer is easy to attach and take off the bike.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trailer is not large enough to accommodate dogs heavier than 50lbs.
3. Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle Trailer
Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle Trailer is another passenger trailer to consider for your extended family. The trailer accommodates two kids up to 40lbs each and, thanks to the additional 12lbs of gear, it is ideal for family trips.Like the other Schwinn bike trailers above, this one also boasts the universal coupler and it is compatible with most types of bikes. The trailer requires a one-time installation, after which is easy to attach to the bike and take off, fold and store.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer is available in two attractive colors to match to your bike or kid?s preference. Regardless of the folder, a feature of the trailer is the two-in-one canopy with bug screen and weather shield. The canopy provides protection from elements and is waterproof.
The trailer turns into a three-wheel stroller for walks or jogs. The front wheel of the stroller swivels for easier navigation, while the handlebar is comfortable to hold.
Things We Liked
- Stroller and trailer: ideal for toddlers and young kids, this Schwinn bike trailer doubles as a convenient stroller, ideal for active parents.
- Folding: the trailer has a folding frame and quick-release wheels. It collapses compactly for storage or transport purposes.
- Storage: besides a cabin capacity of 80lbs, the trailer has a large storage compartment with a further weight capacity of 12lbs.
- Choice: the trailer is available in two colors, blue and red. It is easy to match with your bike or with the preference of the child.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trailer is not compatible with some trek bikes.
4. Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike Trailer
The only difference between the Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike and the double model presented above is the capacity. As its name suggests, the Schwinn Trailblazer Single Bike is suitable for only one kid yet it boasts reduced dimensions that make riding with the trailer easier.The Trailblazer Single has a weight capacity of 40lbs and is designed to accommodate a single child. apart from the cabin capacity, the trailer also boasts the additional 12lbs of convenient storage of baby or cycling gear.Check Price on Amazon
Apart from these differences, the trailer is almost identical to the one above. The trailer comes with a universal coupler which is not compatible with some trek bikes, it has 16-inch wheels and it turns into a convenient stroller.
Regarding safety, the trailer is equipped with safety harnesses, it comes with a side and rear reflectors and with a safety flag installed on a pole.
Things We Liked
- Size: this trailer is ideal for moms of a single child. The reduced dimensions make the trailer easy to carry.
- Canopy: the canopy has a dual purpose and acts as a bug screen and weather shield. It is designed to keep the kid cool and dry at all times.
- Wheels: the 16-inch wheels are equipped with air-filled tires which provide a cushioning effect on bumpy terrains.
- Colors: just like the Double model, this trailer is available in two colors, blue and red.
Things We Didn’t Like
- 40lbs is a quite low weight capacity.
5. Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer
Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer is probably the most versatile Schwinn bike trailer for those active parents looking for a trailer and stroller for their kids. The double trailer has a weight capacity of 80lbs with a seating capacity of 40lbs.In other words, the trailer is perfect for two kids with a maximum weight of 40lbs each, while the device is also equipped with a 12lbs capacity storage space for baby or bike gear.Check Price on Amazon
What makes this trailer different from its counterparts in the design. The cabin is really spacious while the design of the canopy increases the overall height of the cabin. This means that taller kids can sit comfortably in this trailer.
Moreover, the canopy is retractable and the kids can either enjoy the breeze or stay protected from elements. The trailer turns into a stroller and is easy to maneuver either attached to the bike or on its own.
Things We Liked
- Design: the innovative design with a retractable canopy makes this trailer ideal for taller kids, as long as their weight is lower than 40lbs.
- Wheels: another thing this trailer boasts is 20-inch quick-release rear wheels. They provide smooth rides on all types of terrains.
- Lightweight: the aluminum frame is lightweight and easy to maneuver, either as a stroller or as a trailer.
- Collapsible: for easy storage and transport, the trailer boasts a collapsible design. The wheels are easy to take off for a compact storage.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The coupler is not compatible with all bikes.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, Echo Double is the best Schwinn bike trailer on the market. Ideal for two passengers, with a total capacity of 80lbs and 20-inch alloy wheels, this trailer doesn?t turn into a stroller and doesn?t have a storage space, yet it serves its purpose wonderfully.
The cabin is spacious and offers plenty of room for two toddlers older than 8 months, while the coupler is compatible with almost all bikes.
As an overall, the model could be improved. Yet, is a reliable, durable and affordable Schwinn bike trailer to consider.