You?re a passionate cyclist. But what about your kid? Are you dreaming of seeing your offspring cycling alongside you and your significant other? Then you might want to consider investing in one of the best tricycles for kids.
If you?d like to learn more about them before buying, read on. If you don?t feel like reading, use the links in the table below to pick your favorite tricycle for your kid.
|Fisher-Price Harley-Davidson Tough Trike||$|
|Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike||$$|
|Radio Flyer 34B 10-Inch Red Classic Tricycle||$$$|
|Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike||$$$$|
|Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike||$$$$$|
Tricycles are nothing but three-wheeled bikes designed to teach kids how to pedal, steer the handlebar and maintain balance from a young age. But there is more to consider than just the right model. The main question that arises is whether to invest in a tricycle at all. Are there better options?
If you?re unsure whether a tricycle is the best way to educate your baby about cycling, this guide is for you. Discover alternative options, find out what to consider before buying and when is the right time to give your child a tricycle. In the end, take a look at the best models available on the market to choose the best trike for your kid.
- 1 Tricycles For Kids Or Balance Bikes?
- 2 What To Consider Before Buying A Tricycle For Kids?
- 3 At What Age Should You Introduce The Kid To A Tricycle?
- 4 Best Tricycles For Kids To Consider
- 4.1 1. Fisher-Price Harley-Davidson Tough Trike
- 4.2 2. Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike
- 4.3 3. Radio Flyer 34B 10-Inch Red Classic Tricycle
- 4.4 4. Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike
- 4.5 5. Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Tricycles For Kids Or Balance Bikes?
There has been a long debate on whether a kid should be introduced to a trike or to a balance bike. Both vehicles are designed to teach young kids how to cycle and there are many experts who claim that parents can skip tricycles altogether. But is this true?
The differences between a tricycle and a balance bike are huge. The first is a three-wheeled vehicle equipped with pedals. The latter is very similar to the regular bikes in its shape, but lack the pedals and the brake system. Balance bikes are known for helping young children develop their motor skills and balance but they won?t teach your tot how to pedal.
If you want to see your baby cycling from a young age, I strongly recommend getting your baby both vehicles.
Don?t worry. Your child won?t be confused by riding the different types of cycles. But while the balance bike will teach the kid how to maintain balance, the trike will help him learn how to pedal, which is equally important to help him transition smoothly to a traditional bike.
What To Consider Before Buying A Tricycle For Kids?
Tricycles for kids are ideal for teaching the child how to pedal and steer. They are entertaining and fun to ride from a very young age. Babies usually have fun on their trikes from 12 months onwards. Yet there are a few things to consider if you want to give your child more than a toy.
The most important thing to keep in mind is precisely the age of your child. The different models of tricycles for kids are manufactured to address different age groups. Those manufactured for the youngest usually come with telescopic handles that allow parents to push the trike if the kid gets tired or doesn?t have the force to pedal yet.
Some models are designed to grow with the child and are suitable for kids between 2 and 5 years old, while others are only suitable for kids of a certain age. Depending on how fast your kid learns, you might want to consider this before buying the tricycle.
You should also consider the model and material. Some tricycles for kids are made of plastic. These models are usually nothing but fancy toys, although they will still teach your kid the basics of pedaling. Nevertheless, if your goal is that of teaching your kid how to cycle, choose a trike manufactured by an established brand and that is made of metal or other solid materials.
Another important thing to consider is your child?s preference. If your kid doesn?t absolutely love the trike, he?ll probably never be eager to use it. Useless to say that it?s difficult, if not impossible, to teach a kid how to cycle if you can?t get him on the vehicle in the first place. Involve your child in the choice and allow him to decide the aesthetic aspects of the tricycle.
Your world won?t change if you buy a red trike instead of a black one, but your kid?s attraction to this sport will.
At What Age Should You Introduce The Kid To A Tricycle?
A frequent question asked by many parents. The answer is simple: as soon as possible. Most pediatricians and experts recommend introducing the kid to a tricycle as soon as he?s able to sit upright and maintain balance. Start with a small plastic tricycle and help your baby ride it indoors.
You can move outside and let your baby ride the tricycle in the yard as soon as he?s learned how to walk.
Most kids are ready to learn how to use a balance bike from about 18 months onwards. At this stage, the toddler is also ready to start learning how to pedal, therefore you can let him ride both types of cycles. When the kid masters both the balance and pedaling, you can introduce him to the first traditional kid?s bike.
Best Tricycles For Kids To Consider
1. Fisher-Price Harley-Davidson Tough Trike
Fisher-Price is a renowned manufacturer of baby gear and toys and one of their most popular items is the Fisher-Price Harley-Davidson Tough Trike. This tricycle is recommended for children between 24 months and 6 years old.The trike is inspired by the iconic Harley-Davidson motorcycles and boasts features designed to help toddlers and young kids develop their balance skills and learn how to pedal in the safest way. The tricycle is made of sturdy plastic and boasts three heavy-duty wheels designed to take the kid anywhere.Check Price on Amazon
The rugged and durable tires and the stable wheelbase is designed to increase the safety of the little ones on all terrains. Thanks to this characteristic, the trike can be used outdoors from a young age and you?ll not have to worry about your child?s safety.
The easy-grip handlebars, on the other hand, are designed to help the kids learn how to steer in all comfort. Apart from this, the trike has many other features that both kids and parents will love.
Things We Liked
- Secret storage compartment: your kid will be thrilled to keep the favorite toy in the secret storage compartment located under the seat.
- Pedals: the trike is ideal to teach the kids how to pedal, thanks to the big-foot pedals. The pedals are designed to hold the child?s feet securely.
- Wheels: the tricycle boasts really large and rugged wheels that are able to maintain the balance of the trike on all terrains.
- Choice: maybe your kid is not a Harley-Davidson fan, but he?ll be able to choose from a broad range of styles.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although the wide wheels increase the safety, they won?t teach the child anything about balance. The trike is a cool toy though.
2. Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike
Radio Flyer has been manufacturing toys for over a century and their products are renowned for their simplicity and functionality. This is the case of the Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike too. Designed to be a practical training trike and a comfortable toy, this tricycle is perfect for kids between 2 and 5 years old.The tricycle boasts a comfortable adjustable seat, sturdy pedals, and durable molded wheels. The slim profile of the trike and the choice of high-quality materials makes it ideal for the outdoors. On the other hand, the tricycle is also versatile and suitable for multiple purposes.Check Price on Amazon
If you want your kid to get used to cycling from a really young age, this trike is probably the best. The pedals can be easily blocked and used as footrests while the parents can steer the cycle with a removable steering handle.
When the child is confident enough to ride on its own, simply remove the handle and let him pedal his way through the neighborhood.
Things We Liked
- Design: this old-fashioned tricycle for kids boasts modern advantages. The intense red characteristic of the brand adds up to its charm.
- Covered bin: the trike is equipped with a rear covered bin where the kid can store his favorite toys or essentials.
- Removable handle: this trike is designed to grow with the child and comes with a removable parent steering handle.
- Weight capacity: the trike has a weight capacity of 49 pounds and is ideal for kids up to 5 years old. By this time, your kid should be able to ride a traditional bike anyway.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The tires are made of plastic instead of rubber which makes steering somehow awkward.
3. Radio Flyer 34B 10-Inch Red Classic Tricycle
Without a doubt, classic tricycles for kids are the best if you want to teach your baby how to cycle. A great model to consider is the 34B 10-Inch Red Classic Tricycle manufactured by Radio Flyer. This trike is a classic from the manufacturer and boasts all the features needed for a young rider.The trike doesn?t have a parent steering handle, which is a great feature when your main purpose is that of teaching the kid how to pedal. The 10-inch front wheel improves the trike?s stability and the easy-grip handlebar is designed to provide comfort from a young age.Check Price on Amazon
To prevent tipping, the trike comes with a controlled turning radius. On the other hand, the rear step is designed to help the young children get on and off the trike.
Ideal for kids between 2 and 4 years old, the trike is built with durability in mind. Its body is made of steel, it has large spoked wheels and rubber tires. The seat is adjustable and the trike has a weight capacity of 42,5 pounds.
Things We Liked
- Classic design: Radio Flyer is renowned for its timeless designs and this classic red trike is made to impress. It has chrome handlebars, fender, and traditional chrome bike bell.
- Adjustable seat: the trike is designed to grow with the kid and it comes with an adjustable seat that fits children between 2 and 4 years old.
- Wheels: this trike is perfect to teach the kid how to ride. It has large wheels with rubber tires and it boasts a controlled turning radius that prevents tipping.
- 10-inch front wheel: the large wheels are designed to improve balance and increase the stability of the trike on all types of terrains.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trike is a pain to put together. Nevertheless, it is sturdy, well-made and simply adorable.
4. Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike
If you?re looking to get your child on a cycle from a really young age, then you might want to consider the Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike. This tricycle is ideal for babies older than 9 months and who are able to sit on their own.As a 4-in-1 cycle, this unit has everything parents and kids need. You can set it on stroll mode for when the baby is too young to cycle on his own, then switch to pedal mode when the toddler is ready to learn how to pedal, usually when he?s around 18 months.Check Price on Amazon
The other two modes are meant to teach the kid how to sit and maintain balance on the trike and how to ride it autonomously. The seat is adjustable and grows with the baby, while the trike is equipped with a canopy that keeps the kid comfortable in the hottest months.
Things We Liked
- Design: this tricycle is designed to entertain and teach your baby how to ride from a really young age until he?s ready to transition to a traditional bike.
- Comfy seat: the seat is not only adjustable but also large enough to accommodate kids of various ages. The high-back is comfortable for infants and toddlers alike.
- Colors: the trike is available in three vibrant colors to match with the gender or preference of your child.
- Protection: the trike has a full foot platform where your kid can rest his feet, a full shade canopy that protects from sunlight and a parent steering handle for full control of the trike in the first stages.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trike is rather flimsy and it doesn?t look sturdy.
5. Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
Schwinn is a renowned manufacturer of bicycles and cycling accessories, therefore their Roadster 12-inch Trike might be the best option for your little one. This tricycle is made of steel, it is sturdy and has a low center of gravity designed to prevent tipping.The heavy-duty construction is ideal to allow your kid to ride on all types of terrains. Moreover, this is probably the ideal trike to invest in if you want to go on rides with your kid. The seat is adjustable and sculpted for optimum comfort and support.Check Price on Amazon
Besides the outstanding technical characteristics, this trike is also attractive. It has a vintage flair, the handlebar is decorated with long tassels and a classic bike bell that enhances the beauty of the unit.
The trike also has a real wood deck that can be used as support for a small bike basket in which your kid can transport his favorite toys. The trike is available in a broad range of colors and suitable for both boys and girls.
Things We Liked
- Reliability: this tricycle for kids is made of heavy-duty steel and manufactured by an established brand; it is reliable and will entertain your kid for a long time.
- Details: this trike was built with attention to detail in mind. Besides a flawless design, the trike is decorated with vintage elements that inspire kids and adults alike.
- Gravity center: this tricycle has a low center of gravity designed to prevent tip-overs. The seat is adjustable and grows with the child.
- Choice: the tricycle is available in 8 different colors that can easily satisfy the demands of all kids.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trike is expensive considering it will be used for a very limited time.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Choosing the best trike almost always comes down to personal choice. But thinking about the popularity of the model and its characteristics, we consider the 34B 10-Inch Red Classic Tricycle by Radio Flyer one of the best tricycles for kids.
This trike is adorable, well-made and ideal for those who want to teach the kid how to ride. The model is suitable for both boys and girls between 2 and 4 years old, while the large wheels and rubber tires make cycling a breeze.
In the end, if you want to invest in quality without spending a fortune, this is certainly a tricycle for kids to consider.